Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hot oil light 2012 sport

Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Chrysler is not to blame for the electronics being a part of the new vehicle.
I don't unstand what you mean

If the dealership or Jeep put it in there, then they are to blame, ( A Dealership is a Vendor too)

Please explain further
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

When vehicles were first built, they had basic electronics. A heater motor, lights, ignition, etc. Then the government began to get involved, ordering emissions to be withing a certain area. As this cycle started, vehicle manufacturers and consumers found out that to build a vehicle which met all the emissions requirements and was still driveable something needed to be done.

Enter the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) AKA the ECM (Emissions control module.)

The first of which were analog, however they could do things such as advance timing, change fuel to air ratios, and monitor the overall performance of the engines. It was expensive technology that never really caught on, until the advent of IC cards and such. So the PCM was born, reliability increased, along with power, and MPG. One, basic computer. Most everything was still mechanical.

Then consumers started wanting things like in car navigation, bluetooth, lockers, sway bar discos, traction control, stability control, abs, etc.

Now manufacturers were having issues. To run a different control circuit for every accessory would be impossible. Enter the TIPM, or what we know as the TIPM on our JKs. It is the power distribution point that decides what turns on, when it turns it on, if all the conditions are met to turn something on, and houses 99.9% of the fuses and relays needed for the Jeep JK to function. Every tiny bit of electricity on the Jeep (the factory stuff anyways) is transfered through that box. EVERYTHING.

(Very)Basic history of how we got from flat fenders to Jeep JKs.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 PM
JK Junkie

When vehicles were first built, they had basic electronics. A heater motor, lights, ignition, etc. Then the government began to get involved, ordering emissions to be withing a certain area. As this cycle started, vehicle manufacturers and consumers found out that to build a vehicle which met all the emissions requirements and was still driveable something needed to be done.

Enter the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) AKA the ECM (Emissions control module.)

The first of which were analog, however they could do things such as advance timing, change fuel to air ratios, and monitor the overall performance of the engines. It was expensive technology that never really caught on, until the advent of IC cards and such. So the PCM was born, reliability increased, along with power, and MPG. One, basic computer. Most everything was still mechanical.

Then consumers started wanting things like in car navigation, bluetooth, lockers, sway bar discos, traction control, stability control, abs, etc.

Now manufacturers were having issues. To run a different control circuit for every accessory would be impossible. Enter the TIPM, or what we know as the TIPM on our JKs. It is the power distribution point that decides what turns on, when it turns it on, if all the conditions are met to turn something on, and houses 99.9% of the fuses and relays needed for the Jeep JK to function. Every tiny bit of electricity on the Jeep (the factory stuff anyways) is transfered through that box. EVERYTHING.

(Very)Basic history of how we got from flat fenders to Jeep JKs.
So what you are saying they can't build a power control module that can't handle the current or the ecm that can't control all the logic.

Ask yourself why hasn't other auto MFG followed Chrysler lead and business model then ?

It's simple other auto MFG realize they have to put quality in their product if they want return business, Chrysler knows the Jeep family for the most part is loyal and will exploit that for profit through less quality product which cost less for them but at the dealership a 400 % profit margin or more,

Here are some excerpts from
The Wall Street Journal
Updated May 10, 2012, 11:32 a.m. ET
New Chrysler Battling Old Defects - WSJ.com
New Chrysler Battling Old Defects
Through bailouts and bankruptcy, there is one liability that Chrysler Group LLC hasn't yet managed to shed: its reputation for lousy quality.
Despite surging sales and profits, the Auburn Hills, Mich.,auto maker remains dogged by a long trail of recalls, customer complaints and poor ratings on quality surveys.

I could go on but why dog Chrysler, I only hope they realize the Jeep brand has a loyal following and the dealership are tired of dealing with all the bad engineering that comes from Chrysler.

So they are to blame

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 05-19-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 PM
JK Freak

I have yet to experience any electrical woes outside of the ones I caused. Its not a perfect system, but the same could be said for any other Jeep vehicle.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

I have yet to experience any electrical woes outside of the ones I caused. Its not a perfect system, but the same could be said for any other Jeep vehicle.
I'd like to add one more thing ( Thank You Sir ) for serving our country and only hope the very best to you and yours. And remember ware your hot gloves !
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
I'd like to add one more thing ( Thank You Sir ) for serving our country and only hope the very best to you and yours. And remember ware your hot gloves !
Any time! Thank you!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn I have a 07 jku and this helped me out hope yours gets fixed

Quick Reply: Hot oil light 2012 sport