Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how do you remove this friggin PCV valve

Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do you remove this friggin PCV valve

I tried the ziptie trick, but it keeps slipping off. Maybe I need a bigger ziptie? I tried wrapping some galvanized wire around it and that keeps slipping off as well. I've been at if for like 45 mins already in this hot Chicago weather. Any other ideas? Off to the garage to see what else I might be able to use. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mac tools makes a spark plug extractor, I use this thing all the time (for more than just spark plugs)Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406066915689.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	566874
Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If you can put it back together and start the engine, it helps to have everything hot.

Put a bolt in the pcv valve that just fits into the top hole. Clamp some vice grips on the pcv valve so it pinches the pcv valve onto the bolt.
Pry up on the vice grips with a screw driver.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I used needle nose vice grips.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tatonka456
Mac tools makes a spark plug extractor, I use this thing all the time (for more than just spark plugs)Attachment 566874
Was not aware of that tool, so you just grab the nipple of the valve and pull up? I'll have to pick up one of those next time I am at the store. Also, want to do plugs soon. Thanks.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If you can put it back together and start the engine, it helps to have everything hot.

Put a bolt in the pcv valve that just fits into the top hole. Clamp some vice grips on the pcv valve so it pinches the pcv valve onto the bolt.
Pry up on the vice grips with a screw driver.
Oh man, I did not know that having it hot helps. My engine was cold. I like the bolt idea, will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
I think I used needle nose vice grips.
I was thinking of going that route too. Thanks.

Well, I finally got it out. Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up using a small hose clamp and wire around the clamp to lift it out (I couldn't put it back together to get the engine hot):

Click image for larger version

Name:	PCV3.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	566928

How do you know if it is seated? I couldn't push it down at all, so I tapped it down with a deep socket to where I think it was seated, never heard a snap or pop. Anyway, I put it back together and it started up, no CEL. Will go for a cruise in a little bit.

I knew I was in for trouble when I found the hose clamp facing off to the side, who does that? Had to use an angled needle nose pliers and a metal loop to turn it around.

Name:	pcv1.jpg
Views:	2957
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	566929Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC2.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	566930
Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Aragorn

How do you know if it is seated? I couldn't push it down at all, so I tapped it down with a deep socket to where I think it was seated, never heard a snap or pop. Anyway, I put it back together and it started up, no CEL. Will go for a cruise in a little bit.

Here is a photo showing the properly seated pcv valve:

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-22-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Mine was stuck in ridiculously hard. Two of us tried and, most seriously, my assistant ended up needing knee surgery because he was pushing up so hard to force it out he injured his already weak knee (getting old sucks). So, I called a younger, and much bigger and stronger friend (6'4, 275 pounds) and asked him to come assist. And it still took us a half hour and a three foot lever to get it out. Here's what our contraption looked like, and I was holding the Vice Grips on to keep them from pushing against the bailing wire and releasing their grip ...

If someone wanted to make a specialty tool for pulling that, they'd have it insert a short piece of round stock into the PCV valve opening. That round stock would have a small hole at 90 degrees that was the size of the small hole in the top shaft of the PCV valve. You'd then clamp down with two semicircles around the outside of the PCV valve, like with pliers. And in one of those semicircle halves would be a small bit of round stock that would slip through that hole in the PCV valve and into the mating hole on the internal part of the pliers. A highly specialized tool, but I expect they'll sell like hotcakes to any mechanics who've ever changed one of those damned things!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

next time you find one that stuck might i suggest a torch........ or dynamite
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Here is a photo showing the properly seated pcv valve:
Thanks for taking the time to post your pic. Opened mine up again this morning to check. I think it looks similar to yours. Does it matter in which direction that little hole sits? (Crossing my fingers it doesn't):

Name:	PCV4.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	567066

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If someone wanted to make a specialty tool for pulling that, they'd have it insert a short piece of round stock into the PCV valve opening. That round stock would have a small hole at 90 degrees that was the size of the small hole in the top shaft of the PCV valve. You'd then clamp down with two semicircles around the outside of the PCV valve, like with pliers. And in one of those semicircle halves would be a small bit of round stock that would slip through that hole in the PCV valve and into the mating hole on the internal part of the pliers. A highly specialized tool, but I expect they'll sell like hotcakes to any mechanics who've ever changed one of those damned things!
Ouch, hope your friend is ok. I asked the parts guy at the dealership about a tool for it and he also said no there wasn't. I like your idea; might try to fabricate something like that next time - drill, small bit, long bolt, small hose clamp, pin...
Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Aragorn
Thanks for taking the time to post your pic. Opened mine up again this morning to check. I think it looks similar to yours. Does it matter in which direction that little hole sits? (Crossing my fingers it doesn't):

Attachment 567066

It doesn't matter which way the hole faces.

Quick Reply: how do you remove this friggin PCV valve