Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how to replace egr valve 2008 jeep wrangler automatic transmission?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to replace egr valve 2008 jeep wrangler automatic transmission?

how to replace egr valve 2008 jeep wrangler automatic transmission? My check engine light came on my 08 jk I took over to autozone they did free check and told me it was my EGR valve code P1404 so I'm gonna try to replace it myself I don't feel like being overcharged at the dealer. I know where to find the EGR valve Is there a easy way to get to it with an automatic transmission. I've been reading and seems to be so confusing statements out there between manual transmission and automatic transmissions any help will be appreciated. Can someone point me in the right direction
Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Have you seen this thread? https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...?highlight=EGR
Old 01-30-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That thread has gotten rather long, but has a lot of great thoughts on different approaches to the repair. Suggest OP start with the first post, then go to the back and read things in reverse. Ideas towards the end tend to take into consideration other ideas posted before.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the same code on my Jeep for about a year and a half now...P1404. I went to a local mechanic and he told me that as long as the EGR valve stays in the closed position (which it is) not to worry about replacing it, it's not going to harm the engine whatsoever. He said the only time the EGR poses a concern and should be replaced is if it becomes stuck in the open position and you will know when or if that ever happens because you will get very poor idling and your engine may act like it wants to stall.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 01-31-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I have had the same code on my Jeep for about a year and a half now...P1404. I went to a local mechanic and he told me that as long as the EGR valve stays in the closed position (which it is) not to worry about replacing it, it's not going to harm the engine whatsoever. He said the only time the EGR poses a concern and should be replaced is if it becomes stuck in the open position and you will know when or if that ever happens because you will get very poor idling and your engine may act like it wants to stall.
How do you tell which it is? Regardless, plenty of comments in the linked thread about performance improvement after replacing.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
How do you tell which it is? Regardless, plenty of comments in the linked thread about performance improvement after replacing.

The code you get will tell you which position the valve is in whether it is open or closed. Also, the mechanic said that if it was stuck in the open position, you would know it right away because that is when you will start seeing performance issues.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The code you get will tell you which position the valve is in whether it is open or closed. Also, the mechanic said that if it was stuck in the open position, you would know it right away because that is when you will start seeing performance issues.
Gotcha. Since that other thread is the top Google response to replacing the Jeep JK EGR valve, it would be very useful if you'd clearly spell out what codes mean what and what the mechanic said about replacing the EGR valve if it is stuck closed. It is very unlikely that someone six months from now will find your posts in this thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Gotcha. Since that other thread is the top Google response to replacing the Jeep JK EGR valve, it would be very useful if you'd clearly spell out what codes mean what and what the mechanic said about replacing the EGR valve if it is stuck closed. It is very unlikely that someone six months from now will find your posts in this thread.

I posted my experience in that other thread in case someone else might find it useful. Say if someone gets the code, but doesn't have the funds to fix it right away, at least they can rest a little easier.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I posted my experience in that other thread in case someone else might find it useful. Say if someone gets the code, but doesn't have the funds to fix it right away, at least they can rest a little easier.

Quick Reply: how to replace egr valve 2008 jeep wrangler automatic transmission?