Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I can't get plug wires to reach passenger side on 3.8

Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't get plug wires to reach passenger side on 3.8

It seems that they're always an inch or two short either on the plug side or coil side. I'm not sure if there's a specific way to route the wires behind the engine. I've taken them out and adjusted them in the plastic mount thing about five times now and the same result each time. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've replaced mine twice and mine have never been a problem. But I use OEM because I've been warned that aftermarket are known to sometimes not fit properly. And I pull the entire harness out, lay it on the workbench, take a photo of it (See below), then replace each wire one at a time. I use a coat hanger to pull the assembled harness back behind the engine where it originally was routed.

Google/Android's automatic back-up of photos came to the rescue on that. I found that "in the cloud". Hope it helps.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran mine over the engine instead of behind. Put a wire loom over them.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting. I use OEM as well and have never had a problem carefully doing one at a time
Old 04-05-2017, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use OEM too, good thing to know should I think about after market wires.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I used OEM wires. When removing my factory wires the plastic mount bracket broke at the screw mounting position. I was going to try repairing it but it looked to be too much hassle for what it was worth. The OEM wires have wire loom around them, so I just routed them around the back of the engine how they originally were routed and made sure the wire loom was protecting them between the engine and the wires around the back side of the engine and threw the plastic mount bracket away. That bracket seems to just make the routing more difficult and takes up any extra length of wire you have to work with. So if you're coming up short, I would say it's ok to discard that bracket and not deal with it. My wires were replaced last July, no problems to date without that plastic piece.

Quick Reply: I can't get plug wires to reach passenger side on 3.8