Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I can't remove the 4wd shifter knob

Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't remove the 4wd shifter knob

I can't get the 4wd shifter knob off. I am pulling it and no luck. Any suggestions on how to get this off?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Not sure why this is in electrical, but the answer is pull harder. Might help to put it into 4wd and pull straight up. Just don't punch yourself in the face. If you do punch yourself in the face, pics would be appreciated. lol
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Not sure why this is in electrical, but...
Because he is working on the stereo. Duh.

Sorry, kidding.

Get a shop towel or bath towel, a 8" crescent wrench and a hammer.

- Engage the E-Brake and shift the transfer case to Neutral.
- Open the Crescent and lay a part of the towel on the jaws.
- Put the jaws on the metal of the shifter shaft and close the jaws to kind of snug. Not tight. The towel is there so you don't scratch the paint on the shaft or the plastic on the shifter.
- Drape the rest of the towel on top of the knob or have someone rest a hand on the knob. This will prevent the knob from flying up.
- With the hammer hit the bottom of the crescent wrench. It will come loose on the third hit.

The first hit won't be hard enough. The second hit will be harder but still not quite. Now that you are adequately angry at the knob and the situation...The third hit will pop it loose.

Last edited by Vernnz; 03-07-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put it in 4 lo and pull hard, real hard. It will come but as said before.
Don't punch yourself.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I removed mine I thought that twisting would help.
Once it was off I realize that twisting will not help at all. Must be pulled stait up and off the shaft.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Put it in 4 lo and pull hard, real hard. It will come but as said before.
Don't punch yourself.
This will do it. Pull toward your chest though or you could very easily bust your nose.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I still cant get the damn thing to come off. I have had two other guys try as well. Should I try some wd40?
Btw: The reason it was in electrical was because I am running LEDs in to my center console and need to remove the center piece two propoerly drill the holes and run the wires. I was succesful at running my footwell leds with a on/off switch and it looks awesome. Just wish I could finish the rest of my project.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ripmover
I still cant get the damn thing to come off. I have had two other guys try as well. Should I try some wd40?
Btw: The reason it was in electrical was because I am running LEDs in to my center console and need to remove the center piece two propoerly drill the holes and run the wires. I was succesful at running my footwell leds with a on/off switch and it looks awesome. Just wish I could finish the rest of my project.
No, don't use WD40 that won't help at all. People laugh when I say you have to get in there and pull with your legs but that just goes to show how much force it needs to get the knob off. Put the shifter in 4low and pull the knob straight off the shifter with all the muscle you can muster just don't direct your hands at your face or groin . . .
Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ripmover

Don't use wd-40, put it in 4lo, and wrap a towel around the knob tightly. Then give it a couple really hard yanks will come right off with some more leverage from the towel.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 PM
JK Freak

Man I really want to go try and pull those knobs off right now just to see if I can do it. hehe.

Quick Reply: I can't remove the 4wd shifter knob