Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I cant stand my Hawk LTS pads

Old 04-10-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default I cant stand my Hawk LTS pads

Month or so ago I posted about how amazed I was as the increase in braking after I treated my JKU with Hawk LTS brake pads front and rear at 70,000 miles. Well, they do stop well, but my wheels have an insane amount of brake dust on them now. I bought my jeep new about 4 yrs ago. It looks like I've generated more brake dust in the last two months compared to the entire years prior to the brake change. I'm very disappointed. I may give it another month or so. If it doesn't get better I'll probably switch them out. It took me an hour with a scotch brite pad to clean them off today. It was almost like the dust was painted on.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I don't (and haven't) seen a crazy increase in dust in the past 60k miles but I'm also only stopping 33's. It may be time for a big brake upgrade so you're not chewing up the pads quite as much.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I don't (and haven't) seen a crazy increase in dust in the past 60k miles but I'm also only stopping 33's. It may be time for a big brake upgrade so you're not chewing up the pads quite as much.
I'm only on stock wheels and original equipment size duratrac tires. Not doing anything different compared to the first 70,000 miles. In the last 1500 miles my front wheel have turned almost black with dust. Rears not so much, but can still write my name in the dust with my finger. I wonder if I would have had any better luck if I changed or turned my rotors. My stock rotors were in fantastic condition when I changed my pads.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ah, got your jeep mixed with another one. I've heard poor reviews on the low level pads putting off dust but not the hawk. I'll have to install my fronts and what happens.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Ah, got your jeep mixed with another one. I've heard poor reviews on the low level pads putting off dust but not the hawk. I'll have to install my fronts and what happens.
I always research things to death before I buy. I did not see complaints about excessive dust from the Hawk LTS pads. Not sure what is going on here. I've got 1500 or so miles on them. Maybe they had to break in? Wheels got cleaned today. Will see what the next couple of weeks looks like.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't have everything.

With higher performance pads you are going to get more dust and/or noise and wear.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you put any kind of products on your wheels after washing your Jeep? I know a lot of wheel and tire products (cheap and high end) can become "sticky". But yes, in general any performance pads will produce more brake dust over stock/ceramic pads.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by corupt1
Do you put any kind of products on your wheels after washing your Jeep? I know a lot of wheel and tire products (cheap and high end) can become "sticky". But yes, in general any performance pads will produce more brake dust over stock/ceramic pads.
Yes, I did spray a wheel shining product on the tires shortly after doing the brakes. Now that is all washed off. Will see what happens.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default great!

I just bought the hawk lts pads for front last month havent put them on yet , i had heard thats the pad to go with . but hearing now from people on here that you get exsessive brake dust grrrrrr just shelled out 75 bucks for them too
Old 08-22-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have same issue with a lot of brake dust from my Hawk LTS pads but they do stop the jeep really well with my 35's.

Quick Reply: I cant stand my Hawk LTS pads