Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I got bad head

Old 04-10-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine back yesterday. They replaced the head. I think it was the number 4 cylinder. Jeeps been running great, no loss of power. Getting on the highway it moves! Gas mileage seemed to have gotten a little worse. Before seeing the check engine light. Going to see how it goes now.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did have that abnormal ticking sound, but otherwise had zero symptoms, then all of a sudden, the check engine light is on. I did the turn the key back and forth 3 times trick and no code came up, just blank lines then it said done, so i figured it was probably something like the evap or maybe just that i needed an oil change. got the oil changed and the guy told me what it was.
My jeep was bought in sept of 2011 and i believe the manufacture date was aug of that year, if i remember correctly...
there was a huge batch of bad heads from the manufacturer in mexio who machined them improperly.

if your engine is ticking, you have a bad head, i can almost guarantee it now, as that has been a major sign with every case that i have read about over the past couple of years. if your engine isnt throwing a code, yet, you could have your compression checked, however it is you go about doing that cause that is the major issue with it, hence the ticking sound...

i dont think it is wide spread enough to warrant a full blown recall, but it is most definitely a well established problem. the service guy didnt even question me, he already knew what was wrong and said himself that they get it, a lot.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiKing
Bad head? Sounds like it could be a teeth issue and improper training.
Lmao! ! So true
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

well, i just got my jeep home from a week at the dealership getting the head replaced. the characteristic bad head ticking sound is definitely gone, but now it feels like i have cylinders mis-firing. when im in drive, at idle, it feels like little knocks go through the jeep, its super obvious, like little explosions going off that go through the jeep. im extremely disappointed right now. a two day job turned in to a week long job and now this...im taking it back in the morning when i get off work. im just really upset because im actively trying to sell the damn thing and this is stifling my progress.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Update: Engine troubles were just a bad coil, jeep is running great. Very pleased with Moss. Bros Jeep in Riverside, Ca.

Quick Reply: I got bad head