Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Instrument panel has lost its mind

Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument panel has lost its mind

I have a 2012 JKU Rubi and there seems to be a ghost in my instrument panel. Looking for some help.

A couple of days ago while driving at 40 mph the warning chime on the instrument panel started to chime then the speedometer went from 40 to 0 then back to 40 at which time warning lights came on, on the instrument panel. There is no pattern to the lights coming on sometimes is would be the ABS and sway bar light or just the sway bar light. At times several lights would come on sway bar, ABS, Brake, hill decent, charging light traction light. The tone would sound twice and the waring lights would blink twice then all would go back to normal. I never lost power when this happened. This has happened several time and you do not know when it will happen. This occurred while driving on the road.

Has anybody had this happen to their JKU? I think there is a GHOST IN THE MACHINE !!!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

It didn't happen to me but one guy pulled out his phone and recorded his instrument panel when this was happening. The last I heard his jeep was at the dealership waiting for a diagnosis. If I find the thread I'll report back. I'm not sure if it was on this forum.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Time to replace your battery. The instrument cluster on my 2012 went berserk when the battery died.

Similar thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...out%2A-314507/

Last edited by Mason2314; 12-16-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check you battery posts. They are more than likely loose.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Same thing with me. Instrument panel went nuts. Speedo surged up and down, and you could even feel slight gains and losses in acceleration. Took to dealership service and they said battery went bad and needed to be replaced. All good after that.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

And the phone thread wasn't me, but I too recorded it with my phone and showed it to the service tech dude. I think it helped as it's hard to put accurately into words.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it was a ghost. Generally, ghosts or lingering souls/spirits tend to attach themselves to homes or other buildings, not cars. Have you by chance bought this car used? Perhaps it was involved in a serious crash and the deceased loved the JK so much he lingers behind giving you warnings to leave his vehicle alone. In any case, I would contact a ghost whisperer. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Has anyone else noticed it is always '12s that this crazy instrument panel/replace battery to fix occurs? Maybe it will continue into the '13s and later as their batteries age, but I never heard of this with the 3.8s, yet I witnessed it with a .. you guessed it .. '12.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Has anyone else noticed it is always '12s that this crazy instrument panel/replace battery to fix occurs? Maybe it will continue into the '13s and later as their batteries age, but I never heard of this with the 3.8s, yet I witnessed it with a .. you guessed it .. '12.
My '13 did it. I looked under the hood and found the negative battery terminal loose. Tightened both and it never happened again.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

I'm sure it never happened on a CJ either.... Lol. Damn computers.

Quick Reply: Instrument panel has lost its mind