Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep check engine light on! what to do?

Old 04-16-2016, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep check engine light on! what to do?

i have a 2013 wrangler sahara with the 3.6 engine. the other day i was driving and i left off the gas and my red battery light came on as well as my traction control light and the rpm's went up. i shut off engine and turn it back on and it went away. ive noticed as long as im on throttle it doesnt happen but if im coasting for 20 seconds or sitting at idle it activates this mode. i got it checked for codes and its pulling p2173 and p0507. from what ive read its basically got something to do with a air leak of some sort. i dont think i have a loose vacumm hose anywhere so i would like to mark that out of the equation. i dont know what to do or where to start on trying to fix it. i think it is also worth noting my exhuast makes a loud hissing noise 24/7 from right under the front fenders on both sides. jeep has 20,000 miles and is all stock minus some 33 inch tires. any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated im trying to get it fixed before monday. thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2016, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggyE
i have a 2013 wrangler sahara with the 3.6 engine. the other day i was driving and i left off the gas and my red battery light came on as well as my traction control light and the rpm's went up. i shut off engine and turn it back on and it went away. ive noticed as long as im on throttle it doesnt happen but if im coasting for 20 seconds or sitting at idle it activates this mode. i got it checked for codes and its pulling p2173 and p0507. from what ive read its basically got something to do with a air leak of some sort. i dont think i have a loose vacumm hose anywhere so i would like to mark that out of the equation. i dont know what to do or where to start on trying to fix it. i think it is also worth noting my exhuast makes a loud hissing noise 24/7 from right under the front fenders on both sides. jeep has 20,000 miles and is all stock minus some 33 inch tires. any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated im trying to get it fixed before monday. thanks in advance
A large vacuum leak is a possible cause for both codes you have. Are you saying you want to mark that out of the equation without an extensive search? Or, have you already done an extensive search?

That hissing sound you hear 24/7 could be such a leak, except you should not be hearing it when the engine is off.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A large vacuum leak is a possible cause for both codes you have. Are you saying you want to mark that out of the equation without an extensive search? Or, have you already done an extensive search?

That hissing sound you hear 24/7 could be such a leak, except you should not be hearing it when the engine is off.
im saying im marking it out of the equation because i dont understand how it would be leaking. jeep has been babied. im also wanting to mark it off because im hoping i dont have to go looking for a leak. i read somewhere the TB and pcv valve could be the cause. going to check pcv valve tomorrow and clean TB as well as check connection. if that doesnt fix it i guess i will begin my vacuum search
Old 04-16-2016, 06:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

P2173-HIGH AIRFLOW/VACUUM LEAK DETECTED (SLOW ACCUMULATION)

Theory of operation

The Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) motor is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The DC motor located in the throttle body drives the throttle blade. In order to decrease idle speed, along with spark and fuel delivery changes the PCM commands the throttle closed reducing air flow into the engine and the idle speed decreases. In order to increase idle speed, the PCM commands the throttle plate open allowing more air to pass the throttle plate.

When Monitored:
  • Ignition on and engine running with no MAP Sensor DTCs.
  • Set Condition: A large vacuum leak has been detected or both of the TP Sensors have failed based on their position being 2.5 volts and the calculated MAP value is less than the Gas Flow Adaptation value is too high. One trip fault the code will set within 5 seconds. ETC light will flash.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]VACUUM LEAK
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]RESISTANCE IN THE 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]RESISTANCE IN THE MAP SIGNAL CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]MAP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]RESISTANCE IN THE SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]RESISTANCE IN THE 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]RESISTANCE IN THE TP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]TP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]RESISTANCE IN THE TP RETURN CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]MAP SENSOR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]TP SENSOR
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

P0507-IDLE SPEED PERFORMANCE HIGHER THAN EXCEPTED

Theory of Operation
The objective of the Idle Speed Rationality is to monitor the ability to achieve and maintain a steady idle condition. The monitor will judge the functionality of the idle speed control system by monitoring RPM during idle. If RPM does not come within a calibrated deadband of target idle speed, a timer is started. If the timer reaches its maximum threshold without any sign of the RPM trending towards control, a soft failure is generated.

• When Monitored: With the engine running at idle, MAF less than 250 mg/tdc, air temp > -17.8°C (0°F) and less than -7°C (19.4°F) enable after coolant temp > 70°C (158°F) or air temp > -7°C (19.4°F), coolant temp > -7°C (19.4°F) less than 130°C (266°F), canister purge less than100% duty cycle, and no VSS, MAF/MAP, ECT, TPS, ETC Motor, CKP Sensor DTCs nor any fuel system or injector DTCs.
  • Set Condition: Engine speed is 200 RPM or more above idle speed for seven seconds. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM LEAKS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]PCV SYSTEM LEAKS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]ENGINE VACUUM LEAKS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]THROTTLE BODY
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 04-17-2016, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you find an issue? If you have the 3.6 Good luck accessing the pcv. I have heard that the little gaskets in the plenum can fail and allow air by. I think it would give a lean code though.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013, with 20,000 miles. Is it still under warranty? If so I'd head to the dealer and let them fix. Just a thought. Sorry, that's all I got.

Quick Reply: Jeep check engine light on! what to do?