Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep Pulling Right - Dealer says "Nothing Wrong"

Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Pulling Right - Dealer says "Nothing Wrong"

Okay all, I'm at a loss - I've been struggling with my stock 2015 JKU Sahara pulling to the right for quite some time and I just can't figure it out. It's been aligned 5 different times at 4 different places. I've checked everything personally, tie rods, control arms, bushings, ball joints, brake pads, calipers, suspension, steering stabilizer - it's all "perfect." I even took it to a local 4 wheel shop to have a full inspection done and the best they could tell was that the caster was a little off, so I even had them install cam bolts to adjust the caster and the problem persisted. Upon second inspection they came back with, "good news is, everything looks fine, bad news is, everything looks fine."

So I finally caved and took it into the dealership that I bought it at (shoot me now). I should note that I bought it brand spankin' new and it certainly didn't pull to the right when I bought it, I would know because who in their right mind would buy a brand new car that doesn't drive straight. Anyway, after three days in the service shop the dealership has come back to tell me, "it's not the alignment or the tires that's causing the pull," (no sh*t) "but the only two things on a jeep that can cause pull are the alignment and the tires, so you don't have a problem." Yes, you read that right, they just told me that I clearly have a problem but that problem doesn't exist. Typical dealership talk. They went on to tell me that it isn't their job to figure out what is wrong with the jeep because the warranty only covers labor for broken parts, and as far as they can tell there isn't anything broken, so the warranty doesn't apply. Unbelievable, I know. "We refuse to help you figure out what is wrong with your jeep so that we don't have to pay to fix whatever is wrong with it."

I forced them to take another look at it by refusing to leave, and they're going to "try changing the alignment to get it to drive straight and swap on some wheels with new tires to see if that makes any difference" tomorrow, which at this point, I doubt will help since both of those things were rules out already. Also, changing the alignment unevenly just to cover up a pull sounds like a bandaid, not a fix (did I mention that I have less than 500 miles until my warranty expires? Yeah, they're trying to push me past it so the problem isn't, well, their problem).

I'm at a loss of what to do. Does anyone have literally ANY clue what could possibly be wrong? Or how to better deal with the jerks at the dealership? Please help, I'm desperate for answers.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Swap your tires left for right and vice versa. Sounds like radial pull
Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is VERY common on a jeep, and for no specific reason. But there is something I've noticed about jeeps, they are extremely road contour sensitive. I'll explain....

Most roads are designed with a slight slope to prevent standing water. As you can imagine, the right lane we drive on slopes right, which pulls the jeep to the right. I notice that when I jump in the fast lane of a 4 Lane road, the jeep follows the roads' contour to the left. Since we primarily drive on the right sloping surface, the most common gripe is a pull right. Try different lanes with this new knowledge and see if it goes away.

Last edited by tarpon4me; 03-24-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mataiw
I even had them install cam bolts

I hope you don't come to regret that was the form of caster correction chosen.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your tires wearing evenly?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Rotated tires multiple ways - it's not tire pull. All tires are wearing evenly.

Thought that it might be due to road crown and already checked that by driving on road crowned to the left, still pulls to the right. Also drove around in the most level parking lot I could find, back and forth, it's definitely a pull to the right. I even went and test drove a brand new JKU to see if it was just a "jeep thing," but the brand new JKU drove straight as an arrow.

Why would cam bolts be a bad method of adjusting caster? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mataiw
Why would cam bolts be a bad method of adjusting caster? Just curious. Thanks.
Mainly cuz in order to use them, they had to knock out the holes in your axle's lower control arm bracket. Should you ever decide to upgrade to adjustable arms, you're gonna have to find a way to plug that hole up to the original size. That and they're just not all that safe in regards to off roading. It would have been a better option to put some control arm drop brackets on for $100 +/-.

TBH, it's really surprising that a 4 wheel shop would even do that. That is typically the type of thing a dealer pitches as a $15 fix to the issue....and of course they don't really know any better....they just want you back out of their service dept.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-24-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

What tires are you running? Some will pull right and others left.

My Toyos pulled right. I added a fox steering stabilizer and it's perfectly straight now. It drove me nuts for 4 months.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't swap radial tires right to left, only front to back.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by renzo1200
What tires are you running? Some will pull right and others left.

My Toyos pulled right. I added a fox steering stabilizer and it's perfectly straight now. It drove me nuts for 4 months.

Just stock bridgestoe dueler AT's

Quick Reply: Jeep Pulling Right - Dealer says "Nothing Wrong"