Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant

Old 04-18-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A funny thing happen. I was at service today for something else and it clicked over and over the guy came over to the jeep and i moved the shift lever to neutral and it started. he told me it's covered by the warranty.if i would have took it in for this it would have started every time.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron, no one knows what Moxie is, especially a CA jeeper. Maybe you can become the forum Moxie distributor
Lol
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunbo75
A funny thing happen. I was at service today for something else and it clicked over and over the guy came over to the jeep and i moved the shift lever to neutral and it started. he told me it's covered by the warranty.if i would have took it in for this it would have started every time.
Funny to see this thread resurface. But you're right, just put the jeep in neutral and then turn the key and it will start. Warranty does cover this; I still have yet to get it done.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Default No-Start JK FIXED!

It's been over week, and not one No-Start! It is FIXED!!!!!

Here are the photos. I think the battery cable was 4 feet or something.

Negative battery cable on battery and ran alone firewall (ziptie).

Mounted to top alternator engine mount.

BooYa!

This was such an easy clean fix, I should have did it 4 years ago! Took a total of 10 minutes..

Everytime the Jeep wouldn't start it would worry me a tad, especially if it took 3 or 4 tries. So much for Jeep's Grounds!

No more worries!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, I've had the click and intermittent start issue for a month or so after putting a new motor in. I decided to buy a ground and run it from the battery negative to the alternator bracket, and it is working so far. Only problem is that when I was almost home from Auto Zone (about 10 miles), the lightening bolt came on. It was still running normal so I'm not sure what happened. I ran the codes and haven't looked into yet though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Did you get your grounds securely put back onto the block during the engine swap?
Old 05-18-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only had 1 that I took off. It was the strap behind the heat shield on the passenger side that goes to the firewall. It was tore up so I ran a new one from the block to the gas tank skid. The only other one that's been messed with goes from the firewall to the hood. Just finished a test drive without any issues. Still starting first try and no lightening bolt. So far the battery to alternator ground is working. Now to fix this extremely bad death wobble and replace both cracked manifolds.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by SayreJK07; 05-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is extremely interesting. I too have this intermittent issue after I installed an '11 engine in my '07. I found that wiggling the gear selector (automatic) will typically take apparently of it and it starts. Once in a while I need to shift to neutral for it to start. I may pick up a grounding wire.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I went to Moab the week of 5/3 - 5/10 and a 3 day 4x4 trip through Canyonlands National Park.
Then this weekend went on a 4x4 trip through Northern AZ with a Samurai(and toed it up and back to Prescott AZ)

And still not one intermittent start since attaching the extra ground cable!

The extra ground wire is still working 100% for me!

SayreJK07,

I fought a death wobble for 3 years, ball joints, new lift, new track arm bolts, new track arm, new HD tie rod/Drag link, 2 steering stabilizers and no luck. I finally took a gamble with the FOX ATS steering stabilizer and since putting that on 2 months ago, no more Death wobble!

I know people say you shouldn't need a steering stabilizer, but none of it worked on my Jeep I read every write up, and tried almost everything no luck.

Cheers!

Last edited by Foo; 05-18-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foo
.... I finally took a gamble with the FOX ATS steering stabilizer and since putting that on 2 months ago, no more Death wobble! I know people say you shouldn't need a steering stabilizer, but none of it worked on my Jeep I read every write up, and tried almost everything no luck. Cheers!
I swear by my FOX ATS. Comes with a larger bolt that fits snugger.

Quick Reply: JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant