Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant

Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you loosen and retighten your grounds on the engine bay fender walls. There are 3 or 4.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Your JK would click when you turned the key, and the engine wouldn't turn over?
yes,exactly
Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, was fixed by the dealer changing the trans range switch.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Been following this thread looking for clues. Mine has done this occasionally since new, maybe once every couple hundred starts. I never touch the shifter, I just keep turning the key until it finally cranks and starts, usually after 3 or 4 tries. It hasn't left me stranded yet - always starts eventually, but it did scare the crap out of me the first time I was deep in the woods and it went "click". I'll try jiggling the shifter next time and see what happens.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2011 JK 6-spd. I'm currently having the same problem. This has been going on for about a month. I have PIAA fog lights and a bi-xenon HID kit. It wants to crank and doesn't start, but if I keep my foot all the way down on the clutch..it starts right up.

One day, it happened to me at the bank and I went to open the hood and wait for my friend to give me a jump. My arm hit the fuse box slightly and all the lights on the inside came on and it was chiming..it could have something to do with the fuse box, but not sold on it.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you ever find out what the problem was?????
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maine07jk
Did you ever find out what the problem was?????
honestly, I haven't and is bothering me. This weekend I'm going to check all my ground of all my aftermarket stuff..if that doesn't work. I'm taking it to the dealership. It shouldn't be doing this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Dealer fixed

I had the same issue on my 08 automatic. The dealer added a ground wire and the problem went away.
One of the few things that have been fixed with one trip.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

I may have to strongly consider that. BTW..when you had these problems, did you notice all your lights surging? Mine are surging at idle..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue here

this happened when I was test driving my Jeep which is a used 08 jk x.

The battery gave out on us a week ago and I installed the highly recommended DieHard platinum... Now the crank 1/4 turn and click once and no start. It freaked my wife out who is driving the JK a lot more now... Freaked her out to the point she cried. I was thinking a relay issue but will have her try the tranny tweaks and report back. Does anybody know what the cost is to have the Range Sensor replaced?

Quick Reply: JEEP Won't Start -- It Clicks -- Intermittent at first -- Now almost constant