Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK 2012 Engine Tick and Fuel Economy Issue?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Krashkource
Whats weird is that at first (Before September 2012) I had just about the advertised mileage for my Jeep. I really don't know what caused it to suddenly drop and I had assumed at least before I really paid attention to the ticking noise that it was because of winter mixture gas.
If this helps, here is what my mileage looks like in the first 20,000 miles on my 2012 JKU with manual trans and 3.73 rear. I did see about 0.5mpg drop with cold temperatures and winter gas. I now have 26,000 miles and will be updating the chart soon. Below 15.5 is towing. Above 19.5 is 100% highway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4064617574.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	448774  
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine runs great , I had an awesome dealer do my head swap here near Houston where I.live....I.had no tick, no cel , nothing . They just agreed to fix it . I get 22 on the highway and 18 in town ....I love my powerhouse pentastar! ...
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In the absence of throwing a code, I doubt that you'll get any action from the dealer.
I have a '12 JKUR manufactured in Aug. '11, and in July of 2012 it threw a code. Dealer flashed it, and it was only about 30 min. later that it threw the code again.
I went to a second dealer, and they didn't mess around; they did a "leak down" test and that confirmed the head/valve problem; that's the test that has to be performed.

But to answer your question about mileage, I got the results of the leak down test a couple of days before I was scheduled to take a road trip to Montana. The dealer said "no problem; drive the Jeep." I did, and I don't think that my mileage was any different compared to the months prior (and I put 3300 miles on during that trip).
I'm not saying that the head problem can't affect mileage, but I don't think you should try to equate your mileage to a mechanical defect.

Again, I believe that there is only one way to absolutely diagnose the problem. If you wanted to take the chance and pay for the leak down test and it was positive, perhaps you'd have some recourse. Otherwise, wait for the code to throw.

Quick Reply: JK 2012 Engine Tick and Fuel Economy Issue?