Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Empty Every Pocket becoming a nightmare (brakes related)

Old 12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Empty Every Pocket becoming a nightmare (brakes related)

My 2010 unlimited (bought brand new) is starting to become a headache. Besides the incessant rattles that I can't seem to pin down (and when I do, another seems to pop up) I have front bump stops that keep coming un welded, and now this, real rear brake issues. Last April I had my brakes redone, all 4, soup to nuts through the dealer (around 36,000). My emergency brake was acting up as as well, so they tweaked it a bit for me which lasted a week before it let go again, and I started to get some squealing from my rear brakes while the tires were rotating (not when my brakes were being applied). I dealt with it for another month or so, and finally brought it back in in August. After a battle and a half with the dealer, they looked at my brakes for free, said they were fine, and decided to replace my e brake mechanism for free even though my warranty was up, because I had never had any warranty issues with the jeep in the past (very grateful). The one time I drove around the parking lot with the technician, my brakes wouldn't squeal. The second I got home, it started again. It has gotten worse and worse and worse and its finally to the point I am embarrassed to drive it because of how bad it sounds, and am going to have to take it to the dealer again. When do I say enoughs enough with the dealer, its a terrible dealership and they never seem to get any of my maintenance right, but the JK rear brakes are such a pain in the ass its going to cost me hundreds of dollars just to have another shop look at it. Do any of you have an idea of what it could be? Theres only about 3,000 miles on it so the brakes being worn out is an impossibility...Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, comical commentary, would be much appreciated. Im driving a 2010 unlimited, 4" lift 37s less than 40k miles on it, my dream vehicle, its paid off in 6 payments, and I feel like I'm driving a piece of shit tin can rust bucket thats going to fall apart underneath me if I turn the wheel or hit a bump to hard. Ive never even offroaded with it because I'm "that guy" a self admitted mall crawler through and through, and I'm still at my wits end
Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would check your rear axle bearings they could make a squealing noise
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
i would check your rear axle bearings they could make a squealing noise
Just because, I'm honestly not sure how, how do you check an axle bearing? feel for too much resistance while spinning the shaft?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the squeal stops when the brakes are applied? If so, I doubt it's your bearing. Only your rear is having this issue, not the front?

I'd check the rotors first. Really look at them. The dealership won't install new rotors unless they're thrashed, but even a small gash can cause noise. Then check the pads & the clips that hold the pads on the caliper. Maybe even try swapping them with Hawk LTS brake pads (or anything besides OEM) and see if there's a difference. If all else fails to find the issue, pull the shafts, inspect everything, wheel bearings, retainer, etc

Good luck. I know troubleshooting these things are a pita.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Buy cheap FRS radios. Tape one to always on. Then zip tie or tape in place under the vehicle. Keep moving FRS to pin point /isolate the problem.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jknit
... My emergency brake was acting up as as well, so they tweaked it a bit for me which lasted a week before it let go again, and I started to get some squealing from my rear brakes while the tires were rotating (not when my brakes were being applied). ...
I'm trying to boil all of this down to the complaint. I hope that ^^^^ is it.

E-BRAKE: If so, it sounds like your emergency brake shoe on one side may be rubbing. The JK e-brake is a terrible piece of engineering. It is a tiny brake shoe that pushes on one side against a drum that is inside of the rotor for the rear brakes disks. The rear brake disks have nothing to do with the emergency brake. To adjust them, the mechanic has a difficult access to a star wheel that pushes one side of the brake shoe up or down, such that it's closer to the drum. The trick is to make it so close that the e-brake handle doesn't need to be lifted very far, but not so close that it rubs. If it rubs it will squeak. This is a high-pitched squeak, not the lower pitch squeal that disk brakes make when the pads are vibrating.

REGULAR BRAKES: That lower-pitched squeal mentioned above is present when the brake pedal is pressed only. It is annoying and loud, but essentially harmless. It can be fixed by pulling the brake pads out, greasing the backs of the pads, insuring that the clips that the pads slide in are present and in good shape (should be changed every pad change), and greasing them as well. Note, we are NOT greasing the front of the pads that contact the rotor--just the backs of the pads and the tabs where they slide in the clips.

It could certainly be other things as well (as mentioned in other posts). However, since this started about the time the e-brake was adjusted, I'd start my troubleshooting there. Discuss adjusting the e-brake with a mechanic. However, be aware that more than likely it will take more than adjusting the e-brake to get it to work like new. You might just develop the habit most of us have: Leave your manual transmission in first gear when parked. :-)
Old 12-29-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

its a terrible dealership and they never seem to get any of my maintenance right,

If it is such a terrible dealer why do you keep going there.

Find a different dealer. You could try jacking the Jeep up, removing the rear tires and try turning the hubs to pin point the squeal. You would also be able to inspect the rotors to see if they were damaged.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

have then check the shims/hardware the brake pads sit in, sometimes they can pop out of place if not installed correctly. at this point the shim/hardware will contact the rotor causing the squeal until... the brakes are applied. being a mechanic this has happen to me a few times. its a pain in the ass but its a simple fix if this is the cause.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Have the axles been checked? My rear axle had a barely bent flange that would cause a slight chirp as the wheels were moving at low speed.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm trying to boil all of this down to the complaint. I hope that ^^^^ is it.

E-BRAKE: If so, it sounds like your emergency brake shoe on one side may be rubbing. The JK e-brake is a terrible piece of engineering. It is a tiny brake shoe that pushes on one side against a drum that is inside of the rotor for the rear brakes disks. The rear brake disks have nothing to do with the emergency brake. To adjust them, the mechanic has a difficult access to a star wheel that pushes one side of the brake shoe up or down, such that it's closer to the drum. The trick is to make it so close that the e-brake handle doesn't need to be lifted very far, but not so close that it rubs. If it rubs it will squeak. This is a high-pitched squeak, not the lower pitch squeal that disk brakes make when the pads are vibrating.

REGULAR BRAKES: That lower-pitched squeal mentioned above is present when the brake pedal is pressed only. It is annoying and loud, but essentially harmless. It can be fixed by pulling the brake pads out, greasing the backs of the pads, insuring that the clips that the pads slide in are present and in good shape (should be changed every pad change), and greasing them as well. Note, we are NOT greasing the front of the pads that contact the rotor--just the backs of the pads and the tabs where they slide in the clips.

It could certainly be other things as well (as mentioned in other posts). However, since this started about the time the e-brake was adjusted, I'd start my troubleshooting there. Discuss adjusting the e-brake with a mechanic. However, be aware that more than likely it will take more than adjusting the e-brake to get it to work like new. You might just develop the habit most of us have: Leave your manual transmission in first gear when parked. :-)
the squeal is present when the brakes ARENT pressed...also seems louder in reverse than moving forward...when the wheel slows down the squeal goes down...its not shrieking when I apply them

Quick Reply: Just Empty Every Pocket becoming a nightmare (brakes related)