Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

About to buy new JK and need advice

Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy new JK and need advice

I'm planning on making the switch from a 1979 International Harvester Scout II to a new unlimited this weekend and I would really appreciate some help.

For what it's worth, I've had a CJ5 and a CJ6 in the past so I like to think I'm not a complete newbie.

1. The wife is demanding a hard top, I want a soft top. Do I buy one with the dual top group for $1600 more or do I buy the hard or soft and then buy the other from ebay or Mopar directly?

2. I REALLY like the Mountain edition. But is the extra $4k worth it?

3. Are they really taking orders on the 2011's at the end of this week?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tobor
I'm planning on making the switch from a 1979 International Harvester Scout II to a new unlimited this weekend and I would really appreciate some help.

For what it's worth, I've had a CJ5 and a CJ6 in the past so I like to think I'm not a complete newbie.

1. The wife is demanding a hard top, I want a soft top. Do I buy one with the dual top group for $1600 more or do I buy the hard or soft and then buy the other from ebay or Mopar directly?

Definitely get the Dual Top option! Keep the wife happy so you can add more mods to the Jeep in the future! Just take one of the JK forum DIY hoist to remove/store the hardtop during the summer months.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if your wife actually rode in a soft-top only model with hard doors she might realize its a whole different beast than previous jeeps (and scouts if you soft topped your scout)....

I had my 08 up in minneapolis chasing a blizzard and ended up in an area where the actual temperature was -24 F.. I had just short sleeve shirt on (winter gear was with me just not worn).. had the heat fan on high but still had to back down the temp dial (and I like it warm inside)...

having grown up with Scouts.. my dad had a 77... later bought 2 1980 Diesels.. and still has 1 running and partially restored.... I can tell you the HVAC in the JK is a whole different experience than that of a scout..... our family vacations typically were all of us in the scout heading from ohio to often MOAB, tincup pass, elephant hill, arches national park, and MANY more... lots of good wheeling in the scout... you will find a JK MUCH more capable....

BTW are you selling the Scout?
-Christopher
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't believe it's a full $4k more if you back out some of the options that are bundled with it. Something like $1,800, in fact.

I'm a fan of the Mountain Ed. It looks spiffy and you get the nice Rubi wheels and tires. If you want it, then get it. Your Jeep will be more unique than most. One thing you learn quickly driving a Wrangler is that there's a TON of them on the road.

Last edited by JK-Tex; 06-08-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeeparoo - be careful about buying tops off e-bay. There was a redesign for 2010 and the older tops might not fit right. You also have to be sure that you get all the extra parts.
Special editions are never "worth it" but if you like the look, go for it.

Christopher - I'm impressed that there is anyting left of a Scout in Minneapolis. I would have thought it would have all turned to rust by now!! I learned to drive in a 1977 Scout Traveler. Don't ever get the v-8 without power steering. And if you do, don't ever wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel!!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a '07 JK Unlimited, and I live in Woodstock GA and work in Marietta. All I've got is the soft top and I've never had any issues. Not sure why your wife is insisting on the hard top, but you may be fine with the soft top only. I got one of those aftermarket mesh tops for summer use too to be a little cooler when the top is off.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You can find soft tops on Craigslist for $200-$400 (never used, still in the boxes) Get the hard top and pull the freedom panels while you watch for a cheap soft top.

Hadn't read about any differences with the 2010/2011 models, but if you go this route, it's definitely worth looking into as drschem suggested.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Take a Soft top for test drive with the Wife (of coarse)I think you'll both be pleasantly surprised. Being that your in Georgia seems like a Hardtop might be a waste mostly setting in the yard. As for any special editions unless your REALLY into decals/stitching I'd say just order and option one to your liking. Can't say for sure about the 2011s but I would'nt be surprised. Good luck and Welcome!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

If you unpack the Mountain Edition, you get the following for your $1,800:

* Rubi wheels
* Rubi tires
* Side steps
* Black hood graphic
* Mountain Ed. stickers
* Smoked grill
* Smoked bumper inserts
* Mountain Ed. seats
* Fuel filler cover

The only functional items are the Rubi tires and, maybe, the side steps. But you'd pay more to buy all those items individually.

People do all sorts of shit to their Jeep just to improve the looks (including most aftermarket wheels when stock rims would work fine with spacers). If you like the looks of the Mountain Edition then buy it. I'd probably buy one if I was doing it today. Jeeps are all about finding your unique rig. This seems like a fine starting point.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
If you unpack the Mountain Edition, you get the following for your $1,800:

* Rubi wheels
* Rubi tires
* Side steps
* Black hood graphic
* Mountain Ed. stickers
* Smoked grill
* Smoked bumper inserts
* Mountain Ed. seats
* Fuel filler cover

The only functional items are the Rubi tires and, maybe, the side steps. But you'd pay more to buy all those items individually.

People do all sorts of shit to their Jeep just to improve the looks (including most aftermarket wheels when stock rims would work fine with spacers). If you like the looks of the Mountain Edition then buy it. I'd probably buy one if I was doing it today. Jeeps are all about finding your unique rig. This seems like a fine starting point.
Not sure (check Jeep site) but you might be able to add "Rescue green" to this as it may be the only way to get it.(Buy the way JK-TEX using words like "Spiffy" really ages you.)

Quick Reply: About to buy new JK and need advice