Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Keyless Remote not working

Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Remote not working

The keyless remote on my 09' Rubicon 4 door randomly goes dead. After locking the doors and returning, the keyless remote does not work and I have to manually unlock the doors which sounds the alarm until I start the jeep. This only happens randomly. I have taken it into the dealer twice with nothing but "we don't know what it is and we can't get it to happen". I know there was one other thread discussing the issue but I never heard of any solutions. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Sbute
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sbute
The keyless remote on my 09' Rubicon 4 door randomly goes dead. After locking the doors and returning, the keyless remote does not work and I have to manually unlock the doors which sounds the alarm until I start the jeep. This only happens randomly. I have taken it into the dealer twice with nothing but "we don't know what it is and we can't get it to happen". I know there was one other thread discussing the issue but I never heard of any solutions. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Sbute
I'd say the battery in your key FOB is weak or there is some sort of programming issue with either the chip in your key FOB or the jeep itself. Mine has worked no problem since I got the jeep but alot of the programming functions like turning on the horn on the lock feature etc. didnt work. For some reason the horn on lock feature began working on its own a few weeks ago
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had this issue with the keys on my durango (exact same key). I took the keys apart and replaced the batteries. Worked for awhile, but then noticed even new batteries didn't work, or worked randomly. Throwing the keys on the ground was my wife's solution, and usually worked. I preferred something more reliable and less damaging.

So, I took a look at the retaining clip that holds the battery in, and sure enough the clip connection to the board was broken. So i soldered it back to the board and voila, no more issues. I have had to do both keys, they really are a crappy design. I am just waiting for it to happen on the key for the new Sahara.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with one of my remotes, the dealer tested the battery, it was fine, so they just cleaned the contacts, and its been fine since (3 months of daily use). Knock on wood.

P.S. Mine only seemed to do that if I hit the lock button more than once, and then tried to unlock it.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not try using the extra key/remote and if that works out no problem then have them replace the broken one?

I'm sure it's something internal in the keyfob and most likely a connection issue with the battery and contact.

Last edited by Wallaroo; 10-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

thanks to everyone who has commented. I have tried the second key fob and have had the same issues, therefore I thought it might not be the remote. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

thanks again.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sbute
thanks to everyone who has commented. I have tried the second key fob and have had the same issues, therefore I thought it might not be the remote. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

thanks again.
This sounds like an issue with the WCM (Wireless Control Module). It is mounted under the plastic behind the steering wheel between the dash and the wheel (left of ignition key hole). It controls the remote key entry (RKE), ignition key programming and remote start. There's also an antenna that connects to the WCM. The cable could be lose or shorted. I would first try to reset it and see if that helps.

The WCM can be reset by either: disconnecting and then reconnect the battery negative cable at the battery, or by removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), waiting 30 seconds, and reinstall the IOD fuse.

If a reset doesn't work, only a dealer can replace the module. The ECM and all keys have to be reprogrammed when the module is replaced or the Jeep will not start. It is solid state and susceptible to static electricity that can travel through the key when inserting it into the ignition.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does this also. If you take the key apart where the battery is you can see two fingers next to it. I just pull those up a little and it works after that. (I'll get pics if you want.)
I think there should have been a small coil spring there instead of the finger spring. That would solve rhe contact issue.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Mine is intermittent

Mine lately seems to unlock all doors sometimes, and sometimes only the drivers door. (I have it programmed to unlock all on one button press.) I recently got a new battery both in the Jeep, and in the key. Still having intermittent issues.
My warranty is up in Jan, so I think I'll take it in and get this on record before then. I imagine right after the warranty is up, they'll be able to dianose the issue more accurately
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

I have same problem with both of the FOB's on 2009 Sahara. I changed the battery in one but it did not make a difference. Just did not work on a random basis and alarm goes off when I open the door with the key.
I mentioned it to the dealer when I got an oil change 2 weeks ago and he just gave me a new FOB and I have not had a problem since. Wish I had both with me so both would have been replaced. So unless something changes, I will assume the problem is with the FOB itself at this point.

Quick Reply: Keyless Remote not working