Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leak :(

Old 04-21-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak :(

Good morning all.
I've got an 09 JK that's got a leak coming from the top where the doors meet up with the header seal. It appears to be coming from the spongy piece. Does anybody know from previous experience whether or not this could be either the windshield header seal, mucket, or just a bad top? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	644469
Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaked in mine since 6/2007.

Tons of info on this though. Thread after thread of attempts, solutions, constant dealer visits, and disappointment.

I tried silicone, padding, then just started setting something there to catch the water.

It did get better when I got a new Bowless top.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had taken my jeep in about 10 times to get the top to stop leaking. It was a long process of bringing it to the dealer, them "fixing it", waiting for it to rain, then bringing it back. That was one of the spots that it leaked from. They make a kit with foam strips and im pretty sure that's what fixed it that time. Mine ended up being warped freedom panels. Looks like you have a soft top though. Good luck!

Pretty sure this is the diagnosis manual they used a couple times:
http://www.meyerdistributing.com/mar..._for_Leaks.pdf
Old 04-28-2016, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Took me 6 or 7 times at the dealer and two trips from the factory rep. It did finally get fixed. Just be patient and persistent with them. I can now say I'm leak free with the soft and hard top. I believe they ended up having to make adjustments to the door and that finally fixed it. For a while they were just throwing new seals at it every time.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Just rip the carpet out then monstaline it. No more worries. I haven't had carpet for a few years now. lol
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08, the passenger side leaked so bad I had 2" of water in floor. Pulled plugs for a while. Found new door gaskets at Quadratec. Ordered one for each front door, about $120 total. So far, no leaks and floor is dry. May change tomorrow, but for now it is good. They are easy to install and I could tell a big difference between old and new gaskets.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Jeep. Think about it like a self watering convertible.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Rain today, have an 07 that's just perfect but piddles like a scared runt dog.

I usually just keep some type of absorbent fabric to put upon the sill to catch the water. Wring it out, Throw it in the dryer, back to the jeep.

It's sad really, but very used to it at this point. Half doors and all for nearly a decade!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

I have an '08 that has never leaked, but it's a wonder it hasn't looking at the weirdness of how the foam padding/waterproofing is applied around the doors and top.

Quick Reply: Leak :(