Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 PM
C4T
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to follow up, after a 19/60 swap she sits about like factory, maybe an inch more. Rake is gone for now. On road, she's stiffer/less body sway, especially during bump steer and when taking speed bumps at an angle. A little flexing using a forklift illustrates no issues with brake lines, driveline, or skidplates. Still on original shocks at ~55k, if that matters, with a fresh set awaiting installation. I definitely endorse this swap for loaded 2drs, especially if you can get takeoffs for scrap value from a local shop. It doesn't look like any other corrections are necessary at this time.

I did notice that the front springs are indexed using a tab, but the rears only had an upper mounting pad. Do the rear springs need to be indexed as well, even though there is technically nothing holding them in place? They were positioned identically from the factory. I didn't bother to replicate it and don't really notice a difference. I can correct it when I install the shocks, but if the index actually matters in the rear I would almost want to try to correct the JK Lean (still present) rather than replicate factory stance.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to all you posted and added valuable info. I was originally going to go with 35" and 2.5 lift but after much reading and studying I thought what better suit my driving was 33" tires. I didn't like the way the JK road,too soft and swaying and after seeing these post I saw I had 13 fronts and 55 rear. I was able to find 17 fronts and 59 rears for less than $100 shipped. Added 1.5" spacers and Nitto Terra G2 285/70-17 and I'm very happy on how it rides even with stock shocks but will be changing those soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7320.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	643187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7322.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	643188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7326.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	643189  
Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sideshowbob
Thanks to all you posted and added valuable info. I was originally going to go with 35" and 2.5 lift but after much reading and studying I thought what better suit my driving was 33" tires. I didn't like the way the JK road,too soft and swaying and after seeing these post I saw I had 13 fronts and 55 rear. I was able to find 17 fronts and 59 rears for less than $100 shipped. Added 1.5" spacers and Nitto Terra G2 285/70-17 and I'm very happy on how it rides even with stock shocks but will be changing those soon
Looks nice!!! Good choice, you have to do what makes you happy driving it!!
Old 04-21-2016, 01:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sideshowbob
Good thinking. The difference between 285 and stock is really big, but the difference between 285s and 35s is not near as dramatic. I have been taunted with 37's over the winter but my mind has been made up that 33's are fine, I never need any bigger, and with 37s I would have to do ALOT of other things just to get close to where I am now, like gusseting, sleeves, gears, etc.

I have a picture of my jeep from last week...I had the stock wheels with 265s winters on the rear and my 285 BFGs and pro comp rockwells on the front. Dramatic difference.

I am finally installing 19/60s this spring. my springs have 189,000 on them now...so I figure its time for a fresh set.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

I've read all 80+ pages of this thread. Thank you all for the info and education.

I have a 2015 Willys 2 door with 14/55 springs. I just got a set of 18/59's from the dealership off of a JKU Rubicon. This is my first Jeep and will be my first "major mod."
- I already have the red rubi shocks since it's a Willys. So I should be able to just switch out the springs without changing anything else, correct?
- Should I get an alignment after doing this switch? If so, immediately after or after a few weeks?
- I read someone did this switch and it moved their steering wheel and axle out of center. Not sure I understand this, but is that something I should be concerned about.

I'm just looking for a little lift to differ from completely stock look. Will add either 33" to 35" tires and wheel spacers when the stock tires need replaced. Don't do much off road, but some back road and Illinois snow. Would be interested in some light trails at some point.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoTurk
I've read all 80+ pages of this thread. Thank you all for the info and education.

I have a 2015 Willys 2 door with 14/55 springs. I just got a set of 18/59's from the dealership off of a JKU Rubicon. This is my first Jeep and will be my first "major mod."
- I already have the red rubi shocks since it's a Willys. So I should be able to just switch out the springs without changing anything else, correct?
- Should I get an alignment after doing this switch? If so, immediately after or after a few weeks?
- I read someone did this switch and it moved their steering wheel and axle out of center. Not sure I understand this, but is that something I should be concerned about.

I'm just looking for a little lift to differ from completely stock look. Will add either 33" to 35" tires and wheel spacers when the stock tires need replaced. Don't do much off road, but some back road and Illinois snow. Would be interested in some light trails at some point.

Thanks again everyone.
I have a 2 door and did the 14/55 swap for 18/59's and had a 3/4" spring spacer in the front. The caster changed about one degree (not enough to notice), the toe in/out didn't change at all, and my steering wheel stayed straight. I did notice the front axle shifted about 1/4 inch to the drivers side, but I left it alone. It drove perfect.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

I have a brand new 2012 rubicon suspension, springs and shocks that I am going to give to a nephew to install on his 2013 sahara. My question is, if there is anything that needs to be done or added to get this to fit. It will slightly lift the jeep and stiffen it, but was wondering if there is anything else that needs to be done or purchased to go along with it. I am going to install it myself. I was thinking of adding a 1" quadratech spacer to the front and a half inch spacer to the back for some added lift. I know it will need an alignment afterwords, but was wondering about driveline issues brakeline issues etc.
thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobalt
I have a brand new 2012 rubicon suspension, springs and shocks that I am going to give to a nephew to install on his 2013 sahara. My question is, if there is anything that needs to be done or added to get this to fit. It will slightly lift the jeep and stiffen it, but was wondering if there is anything else that needs to be done or purchased to go along with it. I am going to install it myself. I was thinking of adding a 1" quadratech spacer to the front and a half inch spacer to the back for some added lift. I know it will need an alignment afterwords, but was wondering about driveline issues brakeline issues etc. thanks in advance
Check the spring numbers, no sense going through the spring change for the same set. The shocks will make a difference even if you don't upgrade the springs.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Check the spring numbers, no sense going through the spring change for the same set. The shocks will make a difference even if you don't upgrade the springs.
true....
Old 02-26-2017, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Have AA as my 4th 5th digit in vin. 2010 sport. No tags on stock springs

Originally Posted by Pylot7
Hey Everyone! As many of you have discovered there are several different front springs and several different rear springs and many combinations that come on the different models.

There are a couple of significant differences however and if we were to work together we can quickly figure out what matters.

I have discovered that depending on the fourth digit in your VIN that you either have a Jeep rated for 4000 to 5000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight or for 5000 to 6000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

If you have an F in the fourth position of your VIN you have the 4000 to 5000 pound GVW machine. If you have a G then you have a 5000 to 6000 pound GVW machine.

The difference is all in the springs. It may also be in the shocks as there are several part numbers for the shocks and it may be that they actually changed the valving slightly to get the shock/spring combo working right. Putting the heavier springs on your Jeep will yield a benefit in reduced sagging when you add some weight.

Some of you have done a budget boost by putting 4 door springs on your 2 door. But I can also tell you that some of the 4 door vehicles have the same lightweight springs that I had on my low end X. So you don't automatically get the benefit of a higher spring rate with all 4 door take off springs.

If we can figure out which part numbers come with the "G" version of the Jeep then you can know that you will get a significantly stiffer spring or possibly no benefit at all.

It has largely been a crap shoot to this point. But I would like to propose that you post to this thread only the following:

1 - Your Jeep Model: X, Unlimited or Rubicon 2 door or 4 door
2 - Heaviest top you got the jeep with
3 - Your Front Left Spring Number (all jeeps have one number higher on the left than the right to account for drivers side gas tank weight)
4 - Your Rear Spring Number
5 - Your Shock Part Number only if Red/Rubicon shocks, if Black just say black.
6 - The fourth Digit in your VIN: either F or G
7 - Year of the Jeep

Every time you post I will copy your post and edit in the spring numbers on the post following this one.

I will start the list with a set of take offs that came from a four door Rubicon that was the 5-6K GVW type.

Once we get the point at which we know the minimum of the heavies for the 5-6K machines and the maximum of the lighter springs for the 4-5K machines we will have some useful information for those of us wishing to upgrade on the cheap!
My 2010 sport bought new has no tags, I've recently purchased 18/58 set to swap current shocks are Fox 2.0
Really odd but measuring fronts under veh weight is like 12".
13s maybe?
Anyone outa there take a educated guess
Anyway 2" lift from new springs?

Quick Reply: Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question