Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lifters sticking on 3.8

Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Just curious as to why you think you need a high mileage blend at barely 40k mileage mark. I Use synthetic every 10k and change the filter every 3k.
Specifically, Valvoline MaxLife (HM) can be used in new cars as discussed on bobistheoilguy forums....but I really wanted to quiet down the (sewing machine sound) in the motor at idle and clean out any sludge buildup if any while I was at it. Also, I had a slow oil burning issue, that has all but stopped for the past 3,000 miles since my last (3rd) change. I started at 5w-20 weight of this oil (first 2 changes) to now running 5w-30 at last change. Before any of this, I was using dealer oil changes with their yellow bottle Penzoil 5w-20.

At this point, I figured it has flushed out whatever was in there and engine is now purring like new.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would switch to 5W30 and also go with a different oil filter. You didn't mention the brand of filter you are currently using. My last JK was an 07, and never had any lifter noise or dry starting. I always ran 5W30 Castrol with a Mopar filter and changed the oil every 3k miles.
sorry I did forget. They used BG oil and a BG oil filter, and it was synthetic blend 5W-20. I just looked at the paperwork from the repair.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve913
sorry I did forget. They used BG oil and a BG oil filter, and it was synthetic blend 5W-20. I just looked at the paperwork from the repair.
You can change the filter without doing a full oil change. You just lose whatever oil is in the filter.

Or go back to the place and ask them to replace the filter because you suspect the anti-drain back valve is not working.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well i changed the oil filter today. I used a mopar filter and it seems to have taken care of the problem.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Mine would tick on startup when i was using a mopar filter now i use wix filters and have no problems at all.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbandit1
Mine would tick on startup when i was using a mopar filter now i use wix filters and have no problems at all.
A few years back there was a thread or ten on which brand filters had bad ADBV issues. For everyone who said Brand X was the problem and Brand Y the solution there was someone who said Brand Y was the problem and Brand Z the solution and another would say Brand Z was the problem and Brand X the solution and so on and so on.

Much like I'll do now:
I went from Mopar filters to an M1 filters (they were free with M1 oil purchase) but the ABDV leaked so I switched back to OEM Mopar filters and never had the problem again. (Even now that I use Fram Ultras)

So it seems to be an occasional problem with many brands. Sometimes the filter just can't handle the horizontal positioning.

If you think the ADBV is bad (it's usually described as a momentary grind sound on a cold start), turn the key to on without starting, let the pre-start systems check cycle finish, then watch for the oil pressure idiot light (red oil can symbol).

If the red oil can flashes for a very brief moment, it's a sign that the ADBV may have let the filter drain.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I used a Mobil 1 filter when my Jeep was new and had the same issue on cold starts. I switched to Motorcraft FL-400A, and never heard it again.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
A few years back there was a thread or ten on which brand filters had bad ADBV issues. For everyone who said Brand X was the problem and Brand Y the solution there was someone who said Brand Y was the problem and Brand Z the solution and another would say Brand Z was the problem and Brand X the solution and so on and so on.

Much like I'll do now:
I went from Mopar filters to an M1 filters (they were free with M1 oil purchase) but the ABDV leaked so I switched back to OEM Mopar filters and never had the problem again. (Even now that I use Fram Ultras)

So it seems to be an occasional problem with many brands. Sometimes the filter just can't handle the horizontal positioning.

If you think the ADBV is bad (it's usually described as a momentary grind sound on a cold start), turn the key to on without starting, let the pre-start systems check cycle finish, then watch for the oil pressure idiot light (red oil can symbol).

If the red oil can flashes for a very brief moment, it's a sign that the ADBV may have let the filter drain.
This is a good tip

Quick Reply: Lifters sticking on 3.8