Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Limited Slip

Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip

For those of us not buying a Rubicon. Can you guys briefly discuss whether or not you are getting the optional limited Slip rear differential?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

I have ordered my X Unl with the optional ls/anti spin rear diff. I prefer the added drive of both rear wheels.
For off road use, the brake lock diff may be all most would need - even with an open diff.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some info on the Rubi's rear Diff,....good article on pro's & Con's and how the Con's are defended by the Pro's. It looks like the Rubi come's standard with open Diff's. But with the new "BLD" Brake Lock Diff, you really don't need LSD, Plus you have lockers anyway.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/roadtests/...pros_and_cons/
Complaint: The new electric lockers suck.
Reality: The JK axlehousings, shafts, and gears are all stronger than the TJ’s. It’s true, when disengaged the rear JK Rubicon locker is open whereas the TJ’s is a limited slip. But we’ll take the strength and durability over the limited slip any day.

Last edited by nam6869usmc; 01-04-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also depends on what you plan to do with it. I skipped the LS option because I plan on installing a selectable locker down the line. If that is something you might do in the future, it may be best to leave the diff open. Also, if you will be driving on a lot of ice or snow, you may want to skip the LS, as it can lock up in those conditions and give you less steering control.

So, IMHO, I'd say if you don't plan on driving on ice/snow too often and don't plan on adding a selectable locker in the future, go with the LS. Otherwise, I'd leave the diff open until you can install something selectable.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nam6869usmc
"you really don't need LSD"

Well, maybe i don't but maybe i do.

flashbacks...

it's medicinal.

it keeps my boss from having to see a doctor. :toung:
Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ordered

Well guys. I just ordered my jeep with the LS Diff at lunch today. Black X model with black hard top and 17's.

I had not planned on getting a selectable diff so it seems like the right option for me. As for driving on ice, I live in Arkansas and don't get too much of that.

I'm still being told it is better to have the LS Diff than what is standard for the limited amount of off roading and jeep trailing i'll be doing.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

It's an improvement when you are offroad. I've noticed the traction assist robs some power as the calipers slow the spinning wheel. The basic system keeps one or two wheels from digging to china. Hopefully yours will make the basic system not kick in on the back axle.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doojer
It also depends on what you plan to do with it. I skipped the LS option because I plan on installing a selectable locker down the line. If that is something you might do in the future, it may be best to leave the diff open. Also, if you will be driving on a lot of ice or snow, you may want to skip the LS, as it can lock up in those conditions and give you less steering control.

So, IMHO, I'd say if you don't plan on driving on ice/snow too often and don't plan on adding a selectable locker in the future, go with the LS. Otherwise, I'd leave the diff open until you can install something selectable.
if you had to choose:
B package model that has the 4.0 and NO limited slip trac-lok
C package model 3.21 w/ limited slip trac-lok

which would it be?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jared1843
Well guys. I just ordered my jeep with the LS Diff at lunch today. Black X model with black hard top and 17's.

I had not planned on getting a selectable diff so it seems like the right option for me. As for driving on ice, I live in Arkansas and don't get too much of that.

I'm still being told it is better to have the LS Diff than what is standard for the limited amount of off roading and jeep trailing i'll be doing.

Smart move...According to the window sticker, that option gets you the upgraded dana 44 axle... Buying a JK without the LSD was a dealbreaker for me. Glad I found one...
Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Smart move...According to the window sticker, that option gets you the upgraded dana 44 axle...
The D44 comes with the tow package, too.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip