Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for tire recommendations

Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for tire recommendations

In the next month or two, I'll be in the market for new tires for my 2014 JKU Sahara. I currently have the stock 18" polished aluminum wheels with the 32" A/T Dueler tires. I do like the 18" rims however I am looking for a slightly larger more aggressive tire. I'm looking for a 33" tire, with a more aggressive treat pattern that will perform better off road but still have decent pavement manners since the vehicle is my daily driver and I spend 80-90% of my time on the pavement. I know this kind of thread has been posted many times before but it seems like the verdict is always a recommendation for the Goodyear Duratrac or the BF Goodrich KM2s. I was hoping to get some other recommendations for tires other than those mentioned above from those that have experience with something different. I'm kind of considering the Duratracs but would also like to get some other options on the table. I've been told at a shop a long time ago to stay away from Mickey Thomson for a reason I don't remember now. I do realize that by stepping down a size or two to 16 or 17 inch rims I'd be saving a mountain of cash on tires but I am adamant about keeping my 18" rims because they are kind of rare around here and I really do like their look. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Cheers.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I just replaced my goodrich MTs with duratracs. The goodrich after 2.5 yrs started to really suck with wet traction. I'm very happy with the duratracs. They are quieter and I fell like they have less rolling resistance and turn better. I also was considering the Toyo AT 2 but went with duratracs. I stayed with OEM size for 17" rims. Total delivered and installed price was $675. Bought from simpletire.com and had them installed at a Goodyear.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or Nitto Exo Grapplers if you want winter tire
Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my stock tires with a set of trail grapplers and love them so far. Only other tire I've run on my jeep so I can't comment on others. Just be sure to check psi after getting tires mounted. The shop had mine at 50psi and my teeth almost rattled out of my head on the ride home. Dropped down to 30 and what a difference. Good luck!!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best that I've run...

Nitto trail grapplers
Toyo open country mt's
Interco ss-m16's
Mickey Thompson Baja mtz's

All do great on and off the road, and are all relatively quiet for aggressive treads.

Sam
Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I just replaced my goodrich MTs with duratracs. The goodrich after 2.5 yrs started to really suck with wet traction. I'm very happy with the duratracs. They are quieter and I fell like they have less rolling resistance and turn better. I also was considering the Toyo AT 2 but went with duratracs. I stayed with OEM size for 17" rims. Total delivered and installed price was $675. Bought from simpletire.com and had them installed at a Goodyear.
That is my fear with the BFG MTs, them not doing so well in wet weather after a while. Thanks for the shop reference for the Duratracs, I will check them out online.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CLOTAGAMES
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or Nitto Exo Grapplers if you want winter tire
Thanks, I'll check those out!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blacksahara2011
I just replaced my stock tires with a set of trail grapplers and love them so far. Only other tire I've run on my jeep so I can't comment on others. Just be sure to check psi after getting tires mounted. The shop had mine at 50psi and my teeth almost rattled out of my head on the ride home. Dropped down to 30 and what a difference. Good luck!!
Thanks for the feedback on the trail grapplers. I know what you mean about over inflating, the shop did the same thing to my stock tires, and although I'm sure not as unpleasant as over inflating something more treated, it still gave a very stiff ride.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
Best that I've run...

Nitto trail grapplers
Toyo open country mt's
Interco ss-m16's
Mickey Thompson Baja mtz's

All do great on and off the road, and are all relatively quiet for aggressive treads.

Sam
Thanks for all those options, I never considered Toyo or Interco so I'll check them out for sure. If you can pick a favourite, what would that be out of all the ones you listed. Just curious.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm an hr West in Kitchener.... I've ran Stock tires, Mickey Thompson ATZ's, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Goodyear Duratracs and Goodyear MTR's w Kevlar ..... Because of the winters we get if you're only going to run one tire (I switch back-and-forth) I totally recommend the Duratracs for an all-around good tire(on and offroad) and winter conditions. If they made them in 37's it's probably the only tire I'd run.
Summer wheeling loved my Mickey MTZ's and loving my MTR's too now.... But I have two sets and always switched back to the Duratracs for winter. ..... I by the way am selling my 17" Mickey Thompson wheels with fake beadlock rings cause I picked up some Trail Ready beadlock wheels..... PM me if interested they were $300 each new I'm selling all 5 (4yrs old) summer driven only for $600 OBO
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2109539636.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	588043   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1084289822.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	588044   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1200495426.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	588045   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2481503637.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	588046   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1981430176.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	588047  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 12-16-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for tire recommendations