Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for tire recommendations

Old 12-17-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainNapalm
That is my fear with the BFG MTs, them not doing so well in wet weather after a while. Thanks for the shop reference for the Duratracs, I will check them out online.
Me and a coworker bought our 2012 JKU's in the same month in 2012. I had 52,000 miles on my goodrich MTs and he only has 24,000 miles. We both experienced bad wet traction this year, now almost 3 years since buying our jeeps. My point is that the loss of wet traction does not appear to be related to how much the tires have been used, rather their age. Having said that, the goodrich tires don't have sipes, so they really aren't designed for high speed wet traction.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 12-17-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I posted in another threat

If you are looking for a better performance in mud than the Duratracs I recommend the Fierce Attitude, that's what I have. Road handling is vey good and they are pretty quiet on the road. Also they are not that expensive compare to other tires.

Attachment 586865

http://www.goodyear.com/images/tireI...T_Front_84.jpg

http://www.goodyear.com/images/tireI...tude_MT_84.jpg

Hope that helps
Old 12-17-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
I'm an hr West in Kitchener.... I've ran Stock tires, Mickey Thompson ATZ's, Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Goodyear Duratracs and Goodyear MTR's w Kevlar ..... Because of the winters we get if you're only going to run one tire (I switch back-and-forth) I totally recommend the Duratracs for an all-around good tire(on and offroad) and winter conditions. If they made them in 37's it's probably the only tire I'd run.
Summer wheeling loved my Mickey MTZ's and loving my MTR's too now.... But I have two sets and always switched back to the Duratracs for winter. ..... I by the way am selling my 17" Mickey Thompson wheels with fake beadlock rings cause I picked up some Trail Ready beadlock wheels..... PM me if interested they were $300 each new I'm selling all 5 (4yrs old) summer driven only for $600 OBO
Thanks for the tip, Duratracs is the direction I'm leaning towards. You have some nice wheels there for but I think I'm going to stick to my stock sahara rims, thanks for the info though.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tuto
This is what I posted in another threat

If you are looking for a better performance in mud than the Duratracs I recommend the Fierce Attitude, that's what I have. Road handling is vey good and they are pretty quiet on the road. Also they are not that expensive compare to other tires.

Attachment 586865

http://www.goodyear.com/images/tireI...T_Front_84.jpg

http://www.goodyear.com/images/tireI...tude_MT_84.jpg

Hope that helps
Never considered these, thanks!!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Since it seems you're really going to be spending most of your time on the road, you can't go wrong with the Duratracs. Great road manners and pretty good on moderate trails.
I wanted something more aggressive and can't complain about my Nitto Trail Grapplers. They're heave, stiff, but do great off road.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

2.5" budget lift, with 275/70R18 Duratracs and 1.5" Wheel Spacers. Love the Duratracs!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Been kind of stressed the past few days trying to research which tires to get for my JKU. My goal was to get something with decent pavement manners, improvement from Duelers for off-road, and with a more aggressive look. Thought I just couldn't get anything unless I get spacers but I walked into a local 4x4 shop today and was pleased to learn that they can actually order 32" Duratracs that will fit my sock 18" sahara rim with no spacers, not lift, no nothing. Despite them not being advertised online by most retailers, this shop can actually bring in for me 255/70/R18 duratracs. They will measure exactly the same as my stock 32" duelers but will look a lot better and perform better off-road. Best part is I won't need spacers or any mods whatsoever to run them, not even pro cal to celebrate anything. I'm pretty stocked about them coming in and finally being installed. Only downside is they're on backorder and they should take 3-4 weeks to arrive. Will just have to wait. Oh and the price was decent too, they offered me these tires at $250/tire installed.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

My summer tires are General AT 2 on pro comp wheels (33's) I had the Wrangler SRA from the factory on the original wheels and just installed a new set of Duratacs, i love my AT 2 but I wish I had tried the Goodyears before I would have went with them, there are quiet drive nice and have great traction. Overall I am happy with both but if I had to choose between them I would go with the Dur
Old 12-18-2014, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by htm7765
My summer tires are General AT 2 on pro comp wheels (33's) I had the Wrangler SRA from the factory on the original wheels and just installed a new set of Duratacs, i love my AT 2 but I wish I had tried the Goodyears before I would have went with them, there are quiet drive nice and have great traction. Overall I am happy with both but if I had to choose between them I would go with the Dur
Sorry fat fingers I would go with the Duratracs
Old 12-19-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Duratracs on my 2014 Rubicon. Like everyone else, I can't say enough about these tires in the winter. I like in MN, so lots of snow and ice. They work great, plain and simple. "Mud tires" suck in the winter(ice), plain and simple.
Now, I do actually run the Fierce Attitudes on my Dodge 2500 Cummins. I am actually very impressed. They were significantly cheaper than many of the other tires. They now have about 24K miles on them and still have well over half tread. For a mud terrain type tire they do fair in the winter. I plow show with them and get by OK. If it was my daily driver, would I run them in the winter? probably not. If I lived in a climate with a less harsh winter, I would run the Fierce Attitudes in a second.

Quick Reply: Looking for tire recommendations