Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Major Problem...Oil Issue

Old 03-28-2017, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major Problem...Oil Issue

Hoping someone can help. My check engine light was on this evening when I started my jeep to drive home from work. I shut the engine off and restarted. Nothing. Light still on. Started my drive home and noticed that I didn't have normal engine acceleration. I was crushing on the highway at about 60mph and went to pass a car and th acceleration was sluggish. Kept on my way and when I was about a few minutes from getting home my oil light went on and off. I pulled into my driveway and then popped the hood and low and behold there was oil on the engine. I checked the dipstick and it was DRY!!! What the hell. I just changed the oil on Saturday morning. Here it is three days later and this happens. I did some research and I found others reporting an issue of a cracked housing of some sort and that the plastic part is problematic. I'm freaking out that my engine may have been damaged and I have no idea if so. I just bought this Jeep in October from a dealer and it's my only vehicle. This is crazy. I'm reading that the oil housing/filter parts have had issues. Clearly. I have been doing my own oil changes my whole life on all my vehicles...including my previous 2008 JK. Never did I encounter this crap. This should be covered by CHRYSLER no? And if so, can I go to any dealer for the repair? I purchased this JK from a dealer that isn't close to me so I prefer to go to a local one as I need to have this towed. Again just really concerned my engine may have been damaged and this just sucks.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there any massive amount of oil on the ground either at your home or work? I know someone who didn't tighten his filter( dealer didn't tighten it) and leaked a lot of oil. Couple quarts in around 5 miles. Luckily he stopped before he lost anymore.

Could you smell anything on your way to work?

That or you could be burning a massive amount of oil..I dont know what year this JK that your referring to is

Last edited by silverbullet88; 03-28-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

One quart low is off the stick. I would refill to full on stick to see how much is missing. The electronics are there to keep you from screwing up your jeep.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard;4285890[COLOR=#ff0000
]One quart low is off the stick. [/COLOR] I would refill to full on stick to see how much is missing. The electronics are there to keep you from screwing up your jeep.
Good point. Completely off I'd say a little more than a quart.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for reply! This is a 2014 JK. No I didn't notice anything on driveway. I changed the oil on Saturday morning. Checked for leaks following the change and also on Sunday. Nothing. All was fine. When I got home before I looked under the god and there was oil on the engine. Checked the dipstick and dry. I'm hoping that since the oil light went on just a few blocks from my home that I didn't do any major engine damage. Have to get this towed to dealer tomorrow. I'm definitely not comfortable adding oil and driving it there. Just really aggravated at what I've read and found online about others having this issue. With the design of the oil filter housing etc being poor. This was not my first oil change and I checked everything a few times after I completed it. No leaks. No issues. So I just don't understand what happened. While I feel
the dealer (CHRYSLER) should cover this, if push comes to shove I'll take care of it. I don't have the luxury of trying to fight it. I need my jeep to get to work. My ONLY real concern is whether or not the engine may be damaged.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
One quart low is off the stick. I would refill to full on stick to see how much is missing. The electronics are there to keep you from screwing up your jeep.
Thanks! I was hoping that even a bone dry stick would still allot for the possibility of oil being in the engine. I would also hope, as you pointed out, that the indicators came on to give me some cushion (although I know not much). But I was literally a few blocks from my home when the oil light went off.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Assuming you didn't forget to screw on oil filter back on, I'm betting you screwed the filter back on too tight which will crack the oil/coolant housing.

That is specifically why I now have a set of 2 indicators that I've paint marked on my own oil filter cap and the oil/coolant housing to show where I should start screwing in the filter and where it should stop.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks DJ1. I'm almost certain I didn't overtighten the filter cap. But obviously something went wrong. With the other reports if read if people having similar issues I think this part needs to be examined and replaced with a more durable one. Whether the warranty covers this or not...at this pint that's the least of my concerns. I'm just hoping my engine didn't get damaged. Crossing my fingers for that and also a good experience at the dealer. So frustrating.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

gotta ask
have you done a new oil change
was there any oil that came out when you drained the pan
Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by bubbad323
Thanks DJ1. I'm almost certain I didn't overtighten the filter cap. But obviously something went wrong. With the other reports if read if people having similar issues I think this part needs to be examined and replaced with a more durable one. Whether the warranty covers this or not...at this pint that's the least of my concerns. I'm just hoping my engine didn't get damaged. Crossing my fingers for that and also a good experience at the dealer. So frustrating.

If it's this part....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.20.12 PM.png
Views:	122
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	669297

...it's covered under the warranty. A couple of threads on this already. If it's not in stock, you might be waiting a week or 2.

How do I know? I've already had mine replaced once. Hence why I took a paint pen to the housing to mark everything.

Quick Reply: Major Problem...Oil Issue