Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Major Problem...Oil Issue

Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check in the valley under the filter housing, if there's oil in there you have a bad filter housing and it is covered under warranty. There is a huge thread about this problem on 2014 jeeps.. happened to mine.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AMPDinCOLORADO
Check in the valley under the filter housing, if there's oil in there you have a bad filter housing and it is covered under warranty. There is a huge thread about this problem on 2014 jeeps.. happened to mine.
Thanks for the replys. Yes there is oil in that valley. Not sure if this means that the housing cracked though.

I did some more online research and cam across a YouTube video that discussed the common comfusion of where to seat the filter o-ring. From what I watched many people seat the o-ring at the very top of the filter cap. Which is what I did. Apparently this is NOT the proper place. The ring needs to be in the valley below that. So that when you screw the cap on the o ring is not seen. I'm wondering if THIS is why Oil leaked all over OR if the housing is cracked. Only way to know is to get in there and see. Hope this dealer can get back to me tomorrow. I'm really stressed out over this. Having that oil light come and having a dry oil dipstick when I checked was not a good feeling. As someone pointed out here...a dry dipstick doesn't necessarily mean you have NO oil left. But still it's enough of a sight to make you worry. When I got home my engine sounded fine and normal but still...just waiting on that call from the dealer. I'll post back the outcome so hopefully it's a help to others. Def read up on the proper placement for that O-ring. I'm really wondering if this is the culprit. I need a drink. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Mytfine (04-26-2022)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubbad323
Thanks for the replys. Yes there is oil in that valley. Not sure if this means that the housing cracked though.

I did some more online research and cam across a YouTube video that discussed the common comfusion of where to seat the filter o-ring. From what I watched many people seat the o-ring at the very top of the filter cap. Which is what I did. Apparently this is NOT the proper place. The ring needs to be in the valley below that. So that when you screw the cap on the o ring is not seen. I'm wondering if THIS is why Oil leaked all over OR if the housing is cracked. Only way to know is to get in there and see. Hope this dealer can get back to me tomorrow. I'm really stressed out over this. Having that oil light come and having a dry oil dipstick when I checked was not a good feeling. As someone pointed out here...a dry dipstick doesn't necessarily mean you have NO oil left. But still it's enough of a sight to make you worry. When I got home my engine sounded fine and normal but still...just waiting on that call from the dealer. I'll post back the outcome so hopefully it's a help to others. Def read up on the proper placement for that O-ring. I'm really wondering if this is the culprit. I need a drink. Lol
UPDATE:

Got call from dealer. The problem was the filter cal ORing. It was not seated in the proper place. I had it at the top of the cap, where I thought it was supposed to be...to create a seal. Not the place! Almost a very expensive mistake!!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it all worked out.

Quick Reply: Major Problem...Oil Issue