Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual Pops Out of 1st Gear

Old 11-26-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Pops Out of 1st Gear

My 2008 JKU has been slamming out of 1st gear from a stop (only ever occurs under that condition) since the day I got it. Of course the PO "knows nothing about it." Whatever--can't trust him to ask anything further.

I've read several old threads on this, and am aware of TSB 20-001-10 pertaining to it. I will be towing a Uhaul when I move from Delaware to Alabama soon, so before I pull the trigger on this $1k+ job, I have a couple of extra questions about it:

1. Has anyone actually had success after getting the TSB performed?

2. What exactly is being replaced IAW the TSB?

3. Will holding it in 1st every time damage or wear out parts?

Ultimately, my end-all question considering all this boils down to does the TSB REALLY need to be performed?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - this was happening on my '10; the first time I brought it in they just tried replacing the shift boot, which did not help. The second time they replaced a couple of syncros, and it was fine after that.

As FYI, in the meantime, a workaround that worked for me was to quickly shift down into second before shifting up into first when taking off.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

I've noticed that it sometimes doesn't want to go into first fully, but cycling the shifter into second beforehand allows it to go in.

Otherwise I'm glad to hear you had some success from the shop. I hate not knowing what needs to be replaced, but transmissions are like another language to me
Old 11-27-2016, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

My 2010 did this, had the recall parts replaced under warranty fortunately.. I dont want to jinx it... but my jeep hasnt popped out of first since.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine has done it since I bought it.

my dealership is awful, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, and if I wanted them to spend any more time on it it would cost me a lot.

I hate my dealership.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Just for the sake of having a complete background on your jeep; you don't happen to have a body lift right? They are known to produce this problem on manual JK's
Old 12-03-2016, 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2008 did it, I am the original owner, it would pop out so violently if my hand was resting on the shifter preparing to shift to second it would turn half of my hand a deep purplish from the impact, felt like it was breaking bones, and sounded like a small shotgun was going off. Worse place was in intersections making a turn, usually took a couple of seconds to recover and LA drivers generally don't give you that time without some pain.

They changed out some synchros (2 I think) and bushings - it has never popped out since. If it wasn't fixed I wouldn't still have that Jeep it was so bad.

Some people have had similar symptoms when their boots would not let a full engagement into first happen (I've never had that issue), you may try changing from that plastic/rubber boot to a nice leather one first as it is a lot cheaper and easier and may solve the problem.

If the PO was the original owner they could have had it fixed under the lifetime warranty, you don't have that option though.

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Sure sounds like a bad synchro.
Under warranty then get it fixed if you can.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default popping out of 1st

For Christmas I am trying to get my 2007 Manual tranny fixed for the popping out of 1st issue but my mechanic is telling me that there was a TBS about using a certain part that is on back order. It has been over a month and he says he is still waiting on the part. Does anyone know what part he is talking about? I haven't seen any mentioned of parts being hard to get except for below by the guy from Australia from way back in 2010.

Last edited by mdmount; 12-07-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-07-2018, 12:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default popping out of 1st

sorry duplicated same post and i am trying to delete it.

Last edited by mdmount; 12-09-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual Pops Out of 1st Gear