Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual Tranny/Clutch Noise?

Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Tranny/Clutch Noise?

Purchased a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport (60,000 miles)from a Jeep dealer a few weeks ago and it had a rotational rattle of some sort when shifting up through 1st and 2nd mostly. Told them I wanted it fixed before I bought it. They thought it was a loose heat shield?? and thought they had it fixed. It was still there and after I pushed a little they pulled the tranny. Nothing was obvious but since it was still under the powertrain warranty they replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing. The clutch fork was fine as I got to take a look a it. It was fine for a week or two but now it seems to be back although not as loud. The tech also told me that he had already replaced the components about 20k miles ago as the previous owner apparently never got the hang of driving a standard.....he also mentioned they had replaced the flywheel as it was pretty scorched. Anyone out there experiencing a similar problem or have some idea of what it could be? Like to do a little homework before I bring it back to the dealer. Thank.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jvtuttle
.... They thought it was a loose heat shield?? and thought they had it fixed.....
No ideas here after the work you've had done. Just want to say that was my first thought, too, on the heat shield. It is the heat shield on the crossover exhaust line. There are four (IIRC) welds along that and it's common for one of them to break, allowing the shield to vibrate in conjunction with engine RPMs. The noise is pretty obvious and obnoxious. A failing catalytic converter can cause a similar noise, though at so little mileage I wouldn't expect that in your case.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue on my 08. It has been there for a few years. Its never got worse and I'm used to it. It sounds like a temporary clattering that is only there around 1,100 rpm in low gears. Im going to a 17 manual soon so we'll see if it comes back.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jvtuttle
Purchased a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport (60,000 miles)from a Jeep dealer a few weeks ago and it had a rotational rattle of some sort when shifting up through 1st and 2nd mostly. Told them I wanted it fixed before I bought it. They thought it was a loose heat shield?? and thought they had it fixed. It was still there and after I pushed a little they pulled the tranny. Nothing was obvious but since it was still under the powertrain warranty they replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing. The clutch fork was fine as I got to take a look a it. It was fine for a week or two but now it seems to be back although not as loud. The tech also told me that he had already replaced the components about 20k miles ago as the previous owner apparently never got the hang of driving a standard.....he also mentioned they had replaced the flywheel as it was pretty scorched. Anyone out there experiencing a similar problem or have some idea of what it could be? Like to do a little homework before I bring it back to the dealer. Thank.
Sounds like clutch chatter which happens when you have something on your fly wheel or they did not replace or resurface it or there is some greasy paw prints on it. Only way to solve it is to remove the transmission, clutch and clean the poo out of the flywheel.

R/
Will

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny/Clutch Noise?