Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Matinence routine?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matinence routine?

Well I just moved past the 20 k mark on my jeep I am trying to keep this rig running smooth for the long haul and will replace parts as they fail in the future but I want to make sure it gets there. So this brings up a question when should I switch the manual transmission fluid and transfer case everything I have found on this is vague or it just mentions under severe use or fleet usage. Should I replace both at 30k or should I do this now? I have my current maitence log I will post it and if anyone has any recommendations for me I have open ears (especially if I missed something). I know I may seem crazy with the oil change intervals even for synthetic. Also what is the best drop in filter I have been just buying what I can source locally but I want to make advanced orders for future maitence!

19685 oil change, painted frame where I scratched it from putting on a performance exhaust kit and from where I scratched it putting the stock back on lol , afe pro guard synthetic dry air filter

17300 miles oil change, (oil light went off don't know why possibly did not do the oil change light process correct)

15500 tire rotation, diff oil change,

13000 oil change

9250 oil change, air filter, tire rotation

New tires 6000 miles moved up to 265/75/r16

4500 miles oil change switched to synthetic

2900 oil change.

thanks again
Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The manual transmission is pretty stout so as long as you keep fluid in there, you'll survive. I'm at 150k and have changed the fluid 3 times. Transfer case has only been done once....at 130k miles. There are people who do not change the fluid at all and the jeep continues to run. The key is keeping it lubed so it will keep your gears cool.

There are a million threads on oil and filters- everyone has their own opinion on it so I'll spare you mine.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

One more question. Is rust covered under warrenty? My axle'a paint is cracking pretty bad on the pumpkin also the two circles next to the pumpkin have rusted I think this could be due to the temperature the differential is running at on the autobahn (another reason why I switched to synthetic amsol gear oil) also a "rust proof" bolt on door frame is starting to have rust around it. Should I just paint the axle myself or take it in for service? It might be in for a while anyway for the clutch assembly rehaul so maybe I could wait even longer for them to do this.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Rust on the axle has not been covered anywhere I've seen. They call it a natural barrier to further rust. Personally, I paint my undercarriage and everything down there pretty frequently.

You mentioned a "rust proof" bolt on the door- if it's a factory painted bolt then they probably would repaint that. Door hinges have been covered by warranty in the past. Do you have pictures of the door issue?
Old 10-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The door hinges are magnesium and will
Have a white powder under bubbling paint.

As
For rust proofing the undercarriage I use a product called Fluid Film which is a lanolin based product and works great. Spray all you suspension components and any exposed bare metal. If you live in a high Salt environment you should apply Fluid Film frequently to get the salt and grime out of your suspension components.

I change all my fluids after wheeling if I submerge the axles in water. Or every 30k miles. I do a lot of highway driving.

R/
Will
Old 10-22-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

I will try and take a picture of the bolt soon. Also the small bolts across the body like for the windshield bolts do these normally get rust on them? Sorry I don't mean to seem like a stickler or that I overly baby my jeep lol. Also the tie downs in the jeep cargo area have rusted they did this like pretty much immediately after I purchased the viehicle (but I know I can replace this for like 5 dollars)
Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

The small torx bolts for the windshield can rust. Mine were clean and rust-free for 5 years. I'm going to pull them and paint them this winter. The ones in the cargo area are odd, I haven't seen (heard) of them rusting. Stick some oil on them and it should kill it since they're inside the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Matinence routine?