Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

McGard Wheel Lock Key stripped! (2013 Sahara w/18" wheels)

Old 04-15-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking lugnuts

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Get gorilla locking lug nuts as a replacement. They've been fantastic.
I'm done with locking lug nuts. I live in a very rural area and if I get 5 cars a day by the house (dirt road in the mountains) then it's a busy day. I never park overnight anywhere, so... besides, here in TN you can shoot first and make em find the body later.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Why I dislike the darned things

Originally Posted by Divi
Guess its time for me to remove my wheel locks, don't need this happening to me with a flat or with the Girlfriend with the baby in the jeep.
That is exactly my rationale for not having them. I'm the kind of guy that gets the slowest cashier, the worst service, etc... if you see me in line somewhere go to another one. I know I'd be heading to the airport to take a flight with an unrefundable ticket only to have a flat and find that my lock key was toast, the wrong one, sheared off, etc, etc... or worse, my daughter is out at 10 p.m. on a lonely stretch of road with a flat and she can't get the lock to catch, etc... and she ends up as the next 48 Hour Mystery episode. No, I'll replace a stolen spare before I'll have that happen.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default UPDATE: McGard Lock/Key Stripped

Okay, I was able to chisel the lock's rotating sleeve off (it's pretty soft stuff actually) and then grind the collar down even with the main shaft using a Dremel tool with grinder then pound a socket (19MM) on and remove the McGard lock with the messed up key way. I tried sockets designed for bad lug nuts, etc but once they caught they only gripped the collar and stripped it leaving nothing left to thread to as they were then too large for the lock main shaft. McGard does have a drill out kit they'll send you for a $100 deposit (via cc) which you can use and send back. As I couldn't change a flat on that wheel (nor access my spare) I decided to try as "Gforce" described and it worked well. McGard has been helpful in sending a new key (no charge) for me to free my spare and, of course, offered a new lock and key as well. Walmart will have the new wheel in today or tomorrow so I should be good to go once the new wheel is on and my new key arrives. I appreciate the assistance from all.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

I'm just glad you got it worked out ...
Old 04-17-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Lessons learned

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
I'm just glad you got it worked out ...
Lessons learned:
- Don't use wheel locks OR
- Take your locks off before you take it to a commercial tire shop... the vast majority use air impact wrenches (to put on and remove).
- Have an extra key (McGards are $14.99) This is mostly so that you can still access your spare.
- If someone screws it up, resist the urge to "get a bigger hammer". You can get them off with common hand tools. It took me about 90 mins but part of that time was spent experimenting on a removed lock before tackling the lock still stuck on my Jeep.
- Plan on trashing any socket you use.
- Unless you just really like commercial tire shops and know how they actually do business, do your own rotations. Most don't torque to spec... I think many just "guesstimate". I kick myself as I almost always do my own rotations.
- There are such things as "reverse sockets" and "drive-on splined sockets" but you can get a McGard off with a common socket if it's of good quality with a thick sidewall.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mcgard whell lock - 0

Me - 1

Chisel cutting the sleave worked. Very soft once you start going, almost like it gets hot.

Then I beat a 13/16 onboth front and back.

After that it was off in seconds.

Thanks a million. Was just taking it apart to install my new lift.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I wish I had read this thread before buying lug locks. I got a set of Rugged Ridge lug locks, and broke the key putting them on. I didn't put them on all that tight, but...

I opened a "ticket" with Rugged Ridge, but never got a confirmation email. A week later, I tried again, still no response. I thought I could just order another set, but when I talked to the vendor, they said there are several patterns, and give them the number off the key. By that time I had lost the broken key. Who keeps track of broken stuff? Anyway I did a search and found this thread. I would have tried a tire store, but while they may have keys for the more common brands, what would be the chance they would have keys for Rugged Ridge? So I tried the driving-a-socket-on trick, and managed to get them all off. No more lug locks for me!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 16FW
Thanks guys! I wish I had read this thread before buying lug locks. I got a set of Rugged Ridge lug locks, and broke the key putting them on. I didn't put them on all that tight, but...

I opened a "ticket" with Rugged Ridge, but never got a confirmation email. A week later, I tried again, still no response. I thought I could just order another set, but when I talked to the vendor, they said there are several patterns, and give them the number off the key. By that time I had lost the broken key. Who keeps track of broken stuff? Anyway I did a search and found this thread. I would have tried a tire store, but while they may have keys for the more common brands, what would be the chance they would have keys for Rugged Ridge? So I tried the driving-a-socket-on trick, and managed to get them all off. No more lug locks for me!
IRWIN Tools Bolt-Grip Bolt Extractor Base Set, 5-Piece (394001) - Bolt Extractor Kit - Amazon.com

I got this set for my dad for Christmas. He's used them a few times and thanked me for them.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
IRWIN Tools Bolt-Grip Bolt Extractor Base Set, 5-Piece (394001) - Bolt Extractor Kit - Amazon.com

I got this set for my dad for Christmas. He's used them a few times and thanked me for them.
Yes, but those cost $$, and driving a socket on is free :-)

Quick Reply: McGard Wheel Lock Key stripped! (2013 Sahara w/18" wheels)