Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

McGard Wheel Lock Key stripped! (2013 Sahara w/18" wheels)

Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McGard Wheel Lock Key stripped! (2013 Sahara w/18" wheels)

My 2013 Sahara came with McGard locks on the 18" wheels upon purchase. I rotated them about 3 months ago but have another 6k miles on them so I decided to rotate again. My normal tire shop was full and I had to go to Walmart (ugh!) anyway, so... I decided to have them do it while I shopped. Well, they managed to strip the McGard key, leaving the key material imbedded in the RF wheel lock. Now I can't remove that wheel and have no key to remove my spare either. McGard is closed for the day so I can't discuss it with them OR request a new key until tomorrow. In the meantime, any ideas on getting the old lock off? 12 pt socket hammered on? Chisel the collar off and then ???. Ideas? %$#$@#. They managed to scratch the wheel too but stated they'll look into replacing it. So... how do I get the old lock off? Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010399.jpg
Views:	2260
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	545739Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010398.jpg
Views:	1922
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	545741
Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet they hit it with an impact wrench

The question should be what is WalMart doing about it??
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hammer a 12 point on

Tire shops have socket designed just for this situation

weld a large nut onto the lugs using the inside of the nut to the center of the locking lug

edit; get rid of the locks permanently. Anybody with enough balls to jack up your jeep and steal your wheels has no problem cutting your top or smashing your window to get the key out of your console or glovebox.

Last edited by LidLess07X; 04-14-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default McGard Wheel Lock Key Stripped

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I bet they hit it with an impact wrench

The question should be what is WalMart doing about it??
(1) Walmart didn't use an impact wrench that I saw. The used a rachet and spanner ( the spanner I suspect was too much torque for the key but there's no way to "prove" that).

(2) They stated that the lock was on too tight to begin with. Naturally I could go to the other shop that did the last rotation and complain that they torqued it on too tight but that'd be an exercise in futility. It's "he said, she said". The Jeep dealer was no help as they stated they might be able to get the material from the lock but... I doubt it... I tried using WD-40, a pick, a magnet, pliers, etc. They also stated I should call McGard myself. They stated that they'd have to do the same thing I would be doing with no better results and the process would be slower.

The sad thing is I considered doing the rotation myself as I usually do but thought for $12 it wasn't worth me doing in the driveway. Also, I considered doing away with the McGard locks the first rotation as I dislike the things to begin with... wish I had now as I now have a useless spare, a wheel I can't get off, and scratches on my 2013 18" wheel.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Special sockets

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Hammer a 12 point on

Tire shops have socket designed just for this situation

weld a large nut onto the lugs using the inside of the nut to the center of the locking lug

edit; get rid of the locks permanently. Anybody with enough balls to jack up your jeep and steal your wheels has no problem cutting your top or smashing your window to get the key out of your console or glovebox.
Walmart Tire Shop had a set as well BUT it didn't work as the socket fits over the McGard lock and taps on HOWEVER the lock has a spinning sleeve to defeat this type attempt. I thought a 12 pt MIGHT go into the sleeve enough to grip. The type Walmart used was slick and simply spun the sleeve versus gripping the actual lug.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

You could always drill it out and replace the wheel stud...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

I made the mistake of using wheel locks and had a hell of a time getting my spare -- was also stripped out. After I finally got it off due to a small portion of grip I was able to get, the rest followed and phone a new home in the garbage!!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Wow, my grammar is all jacked up... Just throw the durn things out!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Drilling....

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
You could always drill it out and replace the wheel stud...
That's my last resort as it requires a bit more work and time. I've read it takes a tungsten bit or equivalent , X hours, AND then obviously pressing in the new stud. I'm not sure what replacing the stud entails on a JK. More research.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Trash

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
Wow, my grammar is all jacked up... Just throw the durn things out!
I've never liked wheel locks and would never use them normally BUT they came on it so I kept them on just as I hadn't had any issues until today. I wish now I'd have taken them off day one. I've been in security and antiterrorism for 33 yrs and locks won't work with professionals... only with keeping the honest honest and the ungifted/novice looking for softer targets.

Quick Reply: McGard Wheel Lock Key stripped! (2013 Sahara w/18" wheels)