Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Metal slapping sound mostly after clutch is engaged

Old 09-28-2016, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metal slapping sound mostly after clutch is engaged

Just today my jeep began to make a metal on metal slapping sound usually after i push the clutch to the floor. 1st-3rd gears, 15-30mph is all i was able to test it with so far. 90% of the time the sound comes with clutch in. 10% of the time it just comes and goes. Faster sounding with higher speeds. Where could it be from?

2007 Wrangler JKU non rubi 6spd 87k miles
3" lift 35s.

Havent done anything out of the ordinary lately except use it to and from work about a mile on off a couple times a day. Been in the garage lately.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's your front drive shaft?

I'd pull that first, see if it changes. Also if it is the front shaft the sound will get worse in 4hi. Know it sounds odd but the throw out bearing in these six speeds is junk too.

I had a very similar racket going on, that required a new TOB and new drive shafts.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
How's your front drive shaft? I'd pull that first, see if it changes. Also if it is the front shaft the sound will get worse in 4hi. Know it sounds odd but the throw out bearing in these six speeds is junk too. I had a very similar racket going on, that required a new TOB and new drive shafts.
Well i hope its not my front shaft... that thing is less than a few months old. U joint style as well. But i guess ill toy with it some more.

I thought a throw out bearing makes loud sounds when clutch is released.. not sure tho.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondered on if you had an aftermarket shaft or not.

My throw out bearing went out sometime last summer. After the temps started dropping into November I had an unholy noise rolling around especially at startup. Sound was variable on pressure to the clutch pedal.

I replaced all the guts and have not had issues since. My front drive line was toasted at the time as well.

That's just me. I check my shafts every 3-5k, hoping by this winter in the next 30-45 days my clutch will still be nice. By January I'll know for sure if even going with another bearing even matters.

Hope someone else chimes in.

Quick Reply: Metal slapping sound mostly after clutch is engaged