Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mobile 1 GF-5, 5w-20 Does not list MS-6395

Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 GF-5, 5w-20 Does not list MS-6395

I have been using Mobile 1 GF-4, 5w-20 which does meet MS-6395. The new Mobil 1 5w-20 has now been upgraded to ISLAC GF-5, and the MS-6395 spec is no longer on the container label. What bothers me is that Chrysler Materaial Standard MS-6395 is also NOT listed on the Mobil 1 material data sheet. (See below).

Does anyone know if the new Mobile 1, GF-5, SAE 5w-20 meets spec MS-6395 ?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_5W-20.aspx

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 5W-20 is of the following quality level: FordWSS-M2C930-AGeneral MotorsGM 6094MAPICF

Last edited by calemasters; 05-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I went and picked some up Saturday. I noticed the same thing. Bought it anyways. But it would be good to know for warranty issues. I have used it before and it has always had the Chrysler info on there.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older bottle of mobil-1 5w-20 in the garage and it has ms-6395 on it. I did notice that the 5w-30 didn't have it on it for the longest time but now that the 3.6, which calls for 5w-30, is in almost everything across the lineup, 5w-30 NOW has ms-6395 on the label again.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Bump to top. Anyone? I noticed this same thing last time I was buying 5w-20. They had an older bottle with it on there and another which didnt... I bought the one that had it written... Very curious bout this!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default I just read this...

When I heard that Mobil 1 did not meet the MS-6395 specs... I was like... Whaat!? For reals?. So I had read up and came to the understanding that Mobil 1 and Chrysler has some sort of fall out. That Chrysler MS-6395 had changed some of it requirements, so to be approved by MS-6395 Mobil 1 would have to be tested for like two years! I then thought back to when I was at the dealership and I did remember them using Mobil 1. So I was like WTF.. over. Well to get to the point.. I wanted to keep my integrity so I started to look for oils that met the recommendation. I had decided that I was going to use Pennzoil Synthetic Oil, but all along still wanting Mobil 1. Well I just read this today.

This is for Mobil Super (I believe either a non or some sort of half breed synthetic oil). It is the product description, features and benefits, applications, specifications and approvals. Look what it says about Chrysler MS-6395, under Specifications and Approvals.

Mobil Super

This Mobil Super Synthetic and look what it says about Chrysler MS-6395, under Specifications and Approvals

Mobil Super™ Synthetic

Now, check this one

Mobil 1 5w-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil

Last edited by Meatball0311; 06-09-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Meatball0311
When I heard that Mobil 1 did not meet the MS-6395 specs... I was like... Whaat!? For reals?. So I had read up and came to the understanding that Mobil 1 and Chrysler has some sort of fall out. That Chrysler MS-6395 had changed some of it requirements, so to be approved by MS-6395 Mobil 1 would have to be tested for like two years! I then thought back to when I was at the dealership and I did remember them using Mobil 1. So I was like WTF.. over. Well to get to the point.. I wanted to keep my integrity so I started to look for oils that met the recommendation. I had decided that I was going to use Pennzoil Synthetic Oil, but all along still wanting Mobil 1. Well I just read this today.

This is for Mobil Super (I believe either a non or some sort of half breed synthetic oil). It is the product description, features and benefits, applications, specifications and approvals. Look what it says about Chrysler MS-6395, under Specifications and Approvals.

Mobil Super

This Mobil Super Synthetic and look what it says about Chrysler MS-6395, under Specifications and Approvals

Mobil Super™ Synthetic

Now, check this one

Mobil 1 5w-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil

I think that last year Chrysler changed the specification for MS 6395, so now Mobil 1 has to be re certified. My guess is that after another season of testing the current Mobil 1 will prove to meet/exceed the Chrysler MS 6395 specification. Also, I think that Mobil 1 is a higher quality than Mobile Super Synthetic (which is also fully synthetic), although Mobile Super Synthetic does meet MS 6395. I am not familar with Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy other than it is suppose to provide marginally better fuel economy. For now, I am staying with Mobil 1 SAE 5w-20 GF-5, as I am betting that it will be re certified (next year) to MS 6395. It was previously certifed to MS 6395 prior to Chrysler changing the specification.

Here is what Exxon/Mobil say:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...r_MS-6395.aspx

Mobil 1 | Chrysler MS-6395 Specification

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: cnhdr-blue"]Question:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: boldBodyText"]Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"]Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: cnhdr-blue"]Answer:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"]Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by calemasters; 06-09-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by calemasters
I think that last year Chrysler changed the specification for MS 6395, so now Mobil 1 has to be re certified. My guess is that after another season of testing the current Mobil 1 will prove to meet/exceed the Chrysler MS 6395 specification. Also, I think that Mobil 1 is a higher quality than Mobile Super Synthetic (which is also fully synthetic), although Mobile Super Synthetic does meet MS 6395. I am not familar with Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy other than it is suppose to provide marginally better fuel economy. For now, I am staying with Mobil 1 SAE 5w-20 GF-5, as I am betting that it will be re certified (next year) to MS 6395. It was previously certifed to MS 6395 prior to Chrysler changing the specification.

Here is what Exxon/Mobil say:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: cnhdr-blue"]Question:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: boldBodyText"]Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"]Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: cnhdr-blue"]Answer:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: bodyText ContentAreaPadding"]Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I already knew that information about the fallout and change of requirements and the two years of testing. What I did not realize was these oils are not Mobil 1, they are Mobil. Maybe not as good as Mobil 1, but they may be better than other brands that meet the requirement. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using nothing but mobil 1 5w-30 in my 3.8. Does 5w30 meet the spec?

Last edited by AirJordan613; 06-10-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
I've been using nothing but mobil 1 5w-30 in my 3.8. Does 5w30 meet the spec?
Looks like you have a 2008 Sahara with the 3.8 L. I think the correct engine oil is:

SAE 5w-20, meeting MS-6395. Chrysler did not recommend SAE 5w-30 for the 3.8 L cast iron block engine. I am not sure there is anything wrong with using 5w-30 in a warm climate, but you are in Ohio which does have cold winters. I think Chrysler speced the 5w-20 for better flow for cold starts and better fuel economy etc. Ford also recommends SAE 5w-20 in some of their engines. GM does not recommed 5w-20, but 2 years ago, switched to the Cognos speced engine oil which is a higher quality oil than the previous oil speced by GM.

If you read the container on some SAE 5w-30 engine oils, I think some meet the MS 6395 spec (such as Pennzoil Platinum) but it is still not the correct viscosity as specified by Chrysler for the 3.8 L cast iron block engine.

Good luck with your studies in Mechanical Engineering. I studied M.E. at University of Missioui - Rolla.

Last edited by calemasters; 06-10-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 GF-5, 5w-20 Does not list MS-6395