Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are more recent JK's having problems with that transfer case shift cable bushing?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are more recent JK's having problems with that transfer case shift cable bushing?

Hello,

Been reading multiple forums about this topic. Does anyone know if the newer model JKs have the same problems as older JKs when it comes to the plastic transfer case shift cable bushing breaking? I just picked up a new 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I was thinking of having the Advance Adapters Transfer Case Cable upgrade kit installed. Then got to wondering, did Jeep fix this issue? 4 Dealers could not provide me with an answer. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i doubt they fixed it

That Would make to much sense " Its a cheap part that saves them a few cents per vehicle . you can keep a extra one on you , mines a 12 and ive never had one fail (knock on wood )
the plastic ones are like 40 cents last time i bought one , but some one said they went up to like 5 dollars each . Id find that hard to believe at that price yould be stupid to by one made so cheaply . However if it breaks and you didnt have one id pay 5 bucks for one at that moment .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8687.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	606859  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-17-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I would suggest beef up the area with either zip-ties or metal bushings. When you have the transfer case pulled for some other reason, you may want to install the Advanced Adapters cable (when most of the labor hours are already being paid). I have 160K miles, lots of off-road, and zip-ties and more recently metal bushings, have done the trick. I do handle the transfer case gently. LOL.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

I machined a pair of them from brass, with e-clips holding them on. Much more secure, but I think a lot of the breakages are happening from people not shifting the transfer case properly. It is a manual lever in an electronic world. I always shift mine with the transmission in neutral, and the vehicle just barely moving.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for your input

I appreciate your input. I ordered the Advance Adaptors' upgrade and my dealer will install it; they estimate 2.5-3 hours of labor. I too shift very carefully; when in neutral and the vehicle moving at about 2-3 mph. Again, thanks for all of your inputs.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by majorjk
I appreciate your input. I ordered the Advance Adaptors' upgrade and my dealer will install it; they estimate 2.5-3 hours of labor. I too shift very carefully; when in neutral and the vehicle moving at about 2-3 mph. Again, thanks for all of your inputs.
Forgive me newbness to the jeep world. Is that what the JK likes in terms of engaging and disengaging 4wd?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I thought by buying a jeep id be

buying something very reliable for $ 32,000 .. I should have kept my old pick up truck . No way would it have have cost me 37+ thousand to make it a awesome off roader, i miss that 8 foot bed too lol, The jeep is cool and all , But you just cant beat a truck & they hold up .
I thought a jeep would be a investment . I could have invested 37,000 into my ford lol (oh well ) better go buy some spray paint to hide the rust
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	606974  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-18-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Are more recent JK's having problems with that transfer case shift cable bushing?