Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My wife is short

Old 07-16-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbogan
So, we are a recent 2 jeep JK family. I have a lifted JK that my wife likes, but hates getting in. So, I bought her a white Sahara that she loves, except she can't put the soft top up (or down). So, any tips on how she could do this on her own? I tried to coach her again today, but she just doesn't have the leverage to move the top. I suggested carrying a step stool, but that's all I got. I have a feeling she will want to go back to the hardtop at this point.

Help me out...
First...hell of a nice thing to buy your wife a Jeep ...that should buy you a little more time to decide lol (I'll make sure my 5'1" mrs doesn't read this.) I've only gone as far to buy her two step stools, one for inside the home and one for the garage. I'll ask her if she has a suggestion to add here. She's been pretty resilient with only a stool so far. Then again, it's a Jeep...tell your wife to climb all over that thing for leverage if needed!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. We bought one for my mothers Rubicon, but it was closer to 5,000 then. Fitment was rather poor compared to OEM, but it is still pretty awesome. I'd expect an installer to charge easily $500-800, as the install is not straight forward.

I think she ought to just fold the sun rider back and call it a day, I rarely fight the top unless I'm leaving it down for the day.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone here missed the most obvious solution.
What you need is an 18 year old six foot blonde with a Scandanavian accent to help your wife with the necessities around the house.
And, to keep the feeling of "freedom" on the road, she can ride with you.
Problem solved.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lvd76
Have her climb in and fold it back from the inside. She can probably stand up and get it laid back just fine that way. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great solution, I didn't even think about her getting inside to close/open the top. We will see if this works !! Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTW - a lot of great feedback from everyone. Thanks for the assist. I did jokingly mention the electric roof option, but only if I can find it for about 75% discount. Getting inside does seem the most logical and cost efficient. Although, the lifted shoes and Scandinavian blonde options were close second.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 PM
JK Newbie

My little girl is 4'8" and she put the top on my jku down today from inside. I think I might try it myself next time and I'm 6'. LOL
she made it look so easy.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey im only 5'3" tall and I have stock JKU. It was difficult for me to get leverage when raising and lowering the top. Best solution I found was to use the side steps when laying back the sunrider option and then stand one foot on rear tire and other on bumper to raise and lower complete assembly.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blacklock
Hey im only 5'3" tall and I have stock JKU. It was difficult for me to get leverage when raising and lowering the top. Best solution I found was to use the side steps when laying back the sunrider option and then stand one foot on rear tire and other on bumper to raise and lower complete assembly.
hehe a hard top and a hoist sounds like less work.....
Old 07-21-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

do you have a trailer hitch? how about one of those beaver tail inserts for the trailer hitch? then your wife is standing on it behind the bumper, pulling the top back to her? just a thought
Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Add grab handles to roll bars at each door. Stand on edge of door sill, while holding a grab handle.

Quick Reply: My wife is short