Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need help in removing soft top for the season

Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in removing soft top for the season

This is my first time removing the soft top since I didn't have the duel tops before. What is involved in taking the soft top off in the back? Does it just come off by pushing some clip or do you need to remove some hardware? Thanks from a newb hardtop owner.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a plate the mounts to the roll bar on each side containing two bolts each. Unbolt all four, with top down, and kinda twist the framework a bit to clear the plates from the cage and you're all set
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhaines
There's a plate the mounts to the roll bar on each side containing two bolts each. Unbolt all four, with top down, and kinda twist the framework a bit to clear the plates from the cage and you're all set
Thanks. I though that might be the case but didn't want to start removing hardware if it was simpler than that.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

i am assuming you are putting a hard top on.. you need to take the plastic surrounds around your doors off shoulb be 3 big knobed bolts above the doors and you will need to remove the plastic pieces that hold the bottom of your back window down... the hard top has 4 bolts on each side 3 under the window and one on the top of the roll cage... hope this help
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I just removed mine yesterday, Be sure to take off all the front plastic parts that screw on as well as the rear window plastic clips. I removed the soft top arms not the bracket because I dont want fitment issues or possible leaks next summer. It takes no time to take it off.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

(I have a two door but the idea is the same)

This summer I got the quick releases for the soft top bows. Couldn't have been easier! And I leave the brackets on the roll bar.

Keep in mind, when you replace the door surrounds, they only need to be finger tight. cranking down on them will strip the bolt from the grip. (ask me how I know!)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also leave the brackets on the roll bar... I just unbolt (unscrew? untorx?) the bows from the bracket.

(1: unbolt soft top 2: remove rear window clip-on brackets 3: remove the door surrounds).

Once you go through the process, you'll be able to do it under 5 minutes next time.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Jiblet, which one did you go with? I've been looking at them just wondering if they're worth the money.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ibrown3005
Jiblet, which one did you go with? I've been looking at them just wondering if they're worth the money.
I got the bestop bow knuckles. I think from Q-tec but I can't remember.

They are overpriced at $30 but I busted a knuckle and the alternatives weren't good.

easy to install. super easy to use.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I got the bestop bow knuckles. I think from Q-tec but I can't remember.

They are overpriced at $30 but I busted a knuckle and the alternatives weren't good.

easy to install. super easy to use.
Thanks guys. As usual I learned the hard way. Started without seeing the reminder to take the door surrounds off and couldn't figure out why the top wouldn't fit at first. Scratched some of my paint as well but not too bad. Finally figured it out. Will be much better next Spring!

Hopefully this will help some other hardtop newbies since its about that time of year.

Quick Reply: Need help in removing soft top for the season