Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Glass Nightmare

Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
you know what would fix the whole windshield chipping issue for good? making them out of something that isnt brittle..... think about it, if we could invent a new clear substance that could be rigid enough to fill the space and resist wind and rock and bug hits, be be maleable enough not to chip and break from rock hits, it would be revolutionary! Perhaps a form of indestructable super plastic with anti uv chemicles to keep it from yellowing in the sun? after all in a jeep it doesnt have to support the roof, thats what the roll bars are for, it just has to keep the wind out and not look like crap every time a pebble nails it.
theres some on the market, but there not street legal...offroad use only. There a vendor on Jeepforum.

Optic Armor Performace Windows

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/jee...nt-windows.asp
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The glass that I had installed just seems weaker. I know I will always deal with a chipped wind shield but that's a jeep thing and I love my jeep through and through. I just feel that the fixable chips are spreading into long cracks faster than maybe the factor glass would have. Could this be?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I use the home kit to fix chips all the time, still have my factory stock windshield (although I probably just jinxed myself). The key is to fix them right away before they start running.

It's summer and you live in Texas? The first time the hot sun starts beating down on your windshield, the chip is going to become a crack. It's the extreme temp that does it.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012-JKU-Brad
I replace my windshield for the first time about 2 weeks ago in preparation for a trip I was taking to Colorado. The glass I replaces it with isn't manufacturer glass but they calm it to be "great American made glass". The trip I took was a total of ten day and 1700 miles throughout northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. We did the alpine loop and engineering pass. I reserved two rock chips alone the way and both came from 65 mph highway diving. They have both now grown in to 6 and 8 inch cracks.

TWO WEEKS AND 1700 MILES AND THE WINDSHIELD IS ALREADY SHOT!

What should I do?
This doesn't sound like a glass manufacturer or installer problem. It's just the luck of the draw.

I never had a busted windshield in 14 years of driving, and then I picked up a big daily commute for work. In the last year, I've rock chipped and spider-cracked every windshield in every vehicle we own...no joke, and I make a concerted effort to avoid following people (especially trucks) closely. I hate it, but this is our new reality, and I've learned to understand that if the windshield "only" has 1-2 chips and cracks, it's still a good windshield. 3, 4 chips and cracks that are spreading across the driver's field of vision--then it's time to replace. I think I prefer a windshield with a chip in it already. That way, when it gets hit again, it doesn't feel like a big deal.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2012-JKU-Brad
I replace my windshield for the first time about 2 weeks ago in preparation for a trip I was taking to Colorado. The glass I replaces it with isn't manufacturer glass but they calm it to be "great American made glass". The trip I took was a total of ten day and 1700 miles throughout northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. We did the alpine loop and engineering pass. I reserved two rock chips alone the way and both came from 65 mph highway diving. They have both now grown in to 6 and 8 inch cracks.

TWO WEEKS AND 1700 MILES AND THE WINDSHIELD IS ALREADY SHOT!

What should I do?
Buy a new windshield.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
theres some on the market, but there not street legal...offroad use only. There a vendor on Jeepforum.

Optic Armor Performace Windows

Optic Armor Windows
I say use this optic armor stuff if you have chipping too often, you do not need glass to hold the roof of your jeep up, your windshield even folds down, so the only reason they are not approving it for use is that the glass company lobby is paying them too much money to keep this superior product off of daily drivers.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
does that stuff the windshield repair people use come in home kits? you inject it into the chips and it hardens clear, its supposed to keep most of them from ever turning into big cracks. might be worth carrying some in the jeep if it doesnt cost more then buying new windshields all the time ya?
I use loctite brand. works and isnt costly. 10 to 15 bucks depending where you buy.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe i am just lucky, but in the last 2 years i've had no problem with the windshield.
One of the first thing i purchased was one of those bug defelctors that sit on the front of the hood. I see it pushing bugs up and over the windshield, so maybe it helps out with small rocks etc.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have glass coverage always ask for the OEM windshield they have to honor your request. If you don't they will install a cheap quality windshield. I had a BMW they wanted to put a like OEM windshield in. I told them I wanted a BMW windshield and the honored the request even though it cost the insurance company 1700 bucks rather then 1000 for the cheep one

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

A regular wear item on Jeeps.
Kind of like brakes but more often.

Quick Reply: New Glass Nightmare