Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Glass Nightmare

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Glass Nightmare

I replace my windshield for the first time about 2 weeks ago in preparation for a trip I was taking to Colorado. The glass I replaces it with isn't manufacturer glass but they calm it to be "great American made glass". The trip I took was a total of ten day and 1700 miles throughout northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. We did the alpine loop and engineering pass. I reserved two rock chips alone the way and both came from 65 mph highway diving. They have both now grown in to 6 and 8 inch cracks.

TWO WEEKS AND 1700 MILES AND THE WINDSHIELD IS ALREADY SHOT!

What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1017366707.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	572218   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3605203156.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	572219  
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

You should start by calling the company that sold the windshield to you and then if you get nowhere with that, talk to the glass manufacturer.

Hopefully one of these two will be willing to help you out and replace the glass on their dime.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Not sure I'd pin this on the glass installer or manufacturer. Rock chips happen, and Jeeps are especially bad for it. If they do help, they're being really nice. Other options might be to see if your credit card company that maybe you paid for the repair will cover. Some cards do cover damage to new purchases, some don't. Other option is your vehicle insurance company. There may be a deductible, but if you go back to installer maybe they'll cut you some slack on part cost and labor.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

For this very reason I do windshield replacements once a year when inspection comes around. JKs and highways don't play well together in the asphalt box.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

does that stuff the windshield repair people use come in home kits? you inject it into the chips and it hardens clear, its supposed to keep most of them from ever turning into big cracks. might be worth carrying some in the jeep if it doesnt cost more then buying new windshields all the time ya?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2012-JKU-Brad
I replace my windshield for the first time about 2 weeks ago in preparation for a trip I was taking to Colorado. The glass I replaces it with isn't manufacturer glass but they calm it to be "great American made glass". The trip I took was a total of ten day and 1700 miles throughout northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. We did the alpine loop and engineering pass. I reserved two rock chips alone the way and both came from 65 mph highway diving. They have both now grown in to 6 and 8 inch cracks.

TWO WEEKS AND 1700 MILES AND THE WINDSHIELD IS ALREADY SHOT!

What should I do?
Get used to it? I have owned Jeeps all of my life and the one thing they all seem to have in common is rock chips. Every Jeep I have purchased new or used have had the windshield chipped, usually within the first month but always within the first year. Invariably there will be no more issues until I get around to swapping in a new one. Voila within the first couple of monts back to chip city. Still haven't figured it out lol.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

you know what would fix the whole windshield chipping issue for good? making them out of something that isnt brittle..... think about it, if we could invent a new clear substance that could be rigid enough to fill the space and resist wind and rock and bug hits, be be maleable enough not to chip and break from rock hits, it would be revolutionary! Perhaps a form of indestructable super plastic with anti uv chemicles to keep it from yellowing in the sun? after all in a jeep it doesnt have to support the roof, thats what the roll bars are for, it just has to keep the wind out and not look like crap every time a pebble nails it.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Insurance companies are such a racket! We have a glass package policy on our vehicles, but what they don't tell you is if you use it, it increases! We get 3 free chips filled per year, no cost. Windshield replacement for $100 deductible, which is reasonable, but once you get that windshield replaced, your coverage goes up by 30%. I received a letter in the mail that because our vehicle's have been utilizing our package policy as often as they have, that our package rate has increased by 30%. So what is the point of the damned insurance? You still end up paying for your replacement cost yourself, one way or another. It's a scam! Just bite the bullet on the replacement, as most glass places have a different rate for insurance claim replacement, and one for out of pocket replacement.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wrangled
Insurance companies are such a racket! We have a glass package policy on our vehicles, but what they don't tell you is if you use it, it increases! We get 3 free chips filled per year, no cost. Windshield replacement for $100 deductible, which is reasonable, but once you get that windshield replaced, your coverage goes up by 30%. I received a letter in the mail that because our vehicle's have been utilizing our package policy as often as they have, that our package rate has increased by 30%. So what is the point of the damned insurance? You still end up paying for your replacement cost yourself, one way or another. It's a scam! Just bite the bullet on the replacement, as most glass places have a different rate for insurance claim replacement, and one for out of pocket replacement.
can a guy get away with buying the chip filler and doing it himself as he gets chips though? as long as there arent huge vision obscuring cracks coming off those chips you can go so much longer without buying new glass.... I am on full insurance for the next 3 years or so reguardless since I have payments to make on it so I am covered for chip fills and a new shield now and then but ya I could see them jacking up the price if you use it too often since they start losing money on it....
Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't tried the home version myself, but I would sure be willing to give it a try if I needed to. Unfortunately the last stone I took rules that option out for me! Got a 6" spider circle on mine, and it's spreading across the windshield in the summer heat.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	572322

Quick Reply: New Glass Nightmare