Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New JKU question(s)

Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JKU question(s)

I recently bought a new JKU sport with 6 speed, and handed my '50 TJ down to my son. I am loving the JKU and my son is loving the TJ, and has the bug to mod and lift, etc. FYI Jeeps are a fantastic learning tool for youth to get into automotive and off-road. (everyone here likely knows this already, but as a father its cool to see your kid taking an interest and learning skills).

On to my question(s)... I crawled under the JKU to check on how the first three months have been to the bottom side, and found a few surprising things.
1) What is the small box just ahead of the rear axle on the driverside? has one end that's white plastic.
2) Drive shafts are bare metal (now rusted in just 3 months). What's up with that, and do I need to take preservation measures?
3) I noticed several rectangular openings on the underside of each rocker. I fear this will be a road salt catch-all. Any thoughts?
4) Dealer installed an electronic corrosion inhibitor (worked well on wife's Ram 1500). I'm now thinking of undercoat as well, as I'm surprised to see the drive shaft, and edges of the suspension and diffs rusting already. Recomendations?
5) Mudflaps or not? I have factory running boards.

I live and run in Northern Ontario Canada, where it gets COLD (-40F) and the salt the @$#@ out of the roads at least 5 months of the year. Keeping the TJ in good shape was a constant task, and the biggest casualty in 9 years was some cheap bumpers that my son replaced with Smitty's this summer. That said I now have my concerns with the JKU underside.

Any input and suggestions are welcome.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rustoleum

Good story about your son learning to work on his vehicle.
It sounds like dealer electronic rust inhibitor did not work. I'd ask the dealer about that.
Get a can of black "Rustoleum" primer and overcoat and a good brush. Steel wool the rust off before painting and follow the paint can instructions, including recommended temps for applying.
Good luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new JK. Pretty cool to keep the TJ in the family, I bet your son will love it!

1 - that's the evap canister. It's part of the emissions control system. The aftermarket has skid plates and relocation kits.

2 - that's pretty typical. I live down South and mine did the same thing. Its just surface rust.

I cant help with the other questions
Old 10-21-2014, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Bedliner the piss out of the belly. By the time that stuff comes off the metal is either broken torn or bent beyond recognition. Just wire wheel all the rust off and clean it up nice and apply from a paint can or even the spray on stuff will do, tape off anything you dont want coated (like nuts and bolts). Rust can suck it, suck it dry.

I put mopar flaps on my rubicon, the god damn mud terrains were throwing rocks hard enough to take off paint from the doors, flaps were cheaper than constant repainting.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. spent the evening touching up with a "Rust Check" black paint. Now to order some flaps, as in the spring, I upgrade rubber. I don't like the thoughts of lugs chuck'n rocks up the doors.

...and yes it's pretty cool my son loves Jeeps. there will always be at least one Jeep in the yard. He had me worried for a bit... talk'n Honda Civic But when you get snow dumps of 3+ feet, Jeeps rule.

Coached him through a water pump replace a month ago. he did well, and even insisted on cleaning up and repainting the heater hose elbow on the top side of pump.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use fluid film to coat the underside of the jeep once a year right before winter. My 2013 13 axles barely have paint on them and I only have 18888 miles on the jeep 99% pavement miles.

Jeeps paint and coatings are pretty sad.

I had a 1990 4runner and not only did it come with better skids, but the underside paint was still good and there wasnt really any rust after 14 years. The body was another story.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use por 15. Don't have a long time to evaluate, but it chemically converts so you go right over it.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: New JKU question(s)