Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loose Heat Shield

Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose Heat Shield

For months I've been forced to listen to a vibrating heat shield that the dealer could never isolate. The noise would only occur at certain rpm's under certain load conditions when the vibration of the exhaust would reach a certain resonant frequency but it was enough to slowly drive me mad. I could tell by the light weight metallic sound that it was a heat shield but which one? A week or so ago the noise became more pronounced and frequent so armed with a rubber mallet I rolled around under the Jeep and beat on everything until I found the sound I was looking for. The cause was the heat shield that is welded to the cross-over pipe - 2 of the 6 welds failed. The increase in the noise was likely due to the second weld breaking. I have a welder and could tack the loose ends but it's a little close to the plastic gas tank and vapor lines for my personal limits. Plus it's still under warranty and I'm betting the dealer won't weld it either and that "Y" pipe with its 4 cats can't be cheap. Fresh open cats at 35,700 miles can't hurt. We'll see what the dealer has to say. I better remove the hose clamp before I take it in - wouldn't want to give them any ideas
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question but where is this? I have a similar issue it's a tin like sound that occurs around 2k to 2500 rpm only under a load.
I've taken it to two dealerships and they've driven it and put it on the lift and they can't figure it out
I've checked my heat sheild by the transmission and those welds are fine and they checked the manifold bolts but man it's kiliimg me! It sounds like passenger side but the passenger can't hear it as well so maybe it's under the seats not engine bay
It's a 07 with 41k miles
Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

It could be the one over the muffler mine does the same thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

I'm getting the same sound but I'm not sure where it is coming from. It sounds like the same light weight metallic sound though.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has loose sounding shield but only when the engine is cold, once it warms up I dont hear it anymore I cant find the loose shield either, but it sounds like its from passenger side, I've tried to move the heat shield up on the header but havent really looked at the one on y pipe I'll have to check that out
Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have an 07 and have the same damn thing. its been driving me CRAZY!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Ditto with 09 but only when really cold.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rogu3JK
Stupid question but where is this? I have a similar issue it's a tin like sound that occurs around 2k to 2500 rpm only under a load.
I've taken it to two dealerships and they've driven it and put it on the lift and they can't figure it out
I've checked my heat sheild by the transmission and those welds are fine and they checked the manifold bolts but man it's kiliimg me! It sounds like passenger side but the passenger can't hear it as well so maybe it's under the seats not engine bay
It's a 07 with 41k miles
It's the section of the exhaust pipe behind the converters that crosses from passenger to driver's side under the transmission. It has a ribbed heat shield welded to it. Both welds on the end toward the driver's side failed on mine but I didn't notice this until I grabbed the shield and felt a little movement. The welds looked intact but the metal had separated and the shield vibrating against the weld beads was the cause of the tinny sound. I always thought it was the flimsy shield over the muffler but when I put a hose clamp on the end of the crossover shield the noise went away.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Now you just need a 12 inch sub or 2 so you can sound like that stupid Monti Carlo that vibrates with the bass reflex and a set of spinner rims that cost twice as much as your P.O.S. car. Don't you just hate noises like that.....mine was one manafold bolt that kept backing out
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm maybe I'll whack it with a hammer then because the 4 welds looked ok but maybe their not.

Quick Reply: Loose Heat Shield