Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No easy change oil light

Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No easy change oil light

2008 JKU Rubi 3.8L Changed oil, reset light with key on gas 3 times. Drive around for about 2 days or 50km (Canadian) and Change oil comes on. Strange, reset think nothing of it, same thing happens in the next 2-3 days. Disconnected both battery cables, held together for two minutes, put back together. It was good for about 2 more days. Levels are perfect, battery reads 12.34V, no engine codes or light, no visable leaks. Connected + and - battery leads overnight, no change. Also my radio presets stay programmed. (How the hell?) and factory command start beeps once and no start (Canadian again and still need this feature for my daily driver) 117,000km no warranty. TPM and TCS are only lights on dash

Any ideas? Remove all fuses? Turn it upside down and shake it? Bang head on steering wheel until air bag deploys? Read 80 out of 609 posts and about check oil light, couldn't stand how many people asked how to do the key/pedal sequence, makes searching tedious.

Also just noticed while writing this thread
lead rhymes with read and lead rhymes with read

Help me Wrangler gods!!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If your 2008 JK was built before 22 Feb 2008,
ask your dealer if the PCM update was performed in accordance with the following TSB:
NUMBER: 08-013-08 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: July 11, 2008

It has to do with premature oil change alerts like you describe.

When you say this: "and factory command start beeps once and no start", are you saying your JK will not start with the remote start?

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-17-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If your 2008 JK was built before 22 Feb 2008, ask your dealer if the PCM update was performed in accordance with the following TSB: NUMBER: 08-013-08 REV. A GROUP: Vehicle Performance DATE: July 11, 2008 It has to do with premature oil change alerts like you describe.
Wow that was fast and detailed!!!
I tried everything but the dealer.
Thanks Ronjenx!!
I will try to get in when the dealershit is open next week.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update
Went to the dealershit early this AM, arrogant service as always. They couldn't possibly squeeze me in to put a their reader on in until the 25th and I have to leave it all day. Also it's $150 and no guarantee they will find anything or fix anything. I reluctantly booked the appointment and decided to blow off some steam wheeling in the snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-935272056.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	546803

Didn't take pics while I was stuck. Tricky logs under the snow.

Got back to town hoped shaking and bumping the Jeep around might have done something, tried the command start and nothing. Damn... went to the car wash, gave a good under carriage wash, washed under the hood (covering air intake). Went home hit the command start twice and it started!!! :shakingheadinbewilderment:
Only reason I even washed it was to make it easier to extend breather tubes. I guess when all else fails go get stuck or mod something!
Thanks and happy Easter!
Old 04-20-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12.34volts is NOT a sign of a healthy battery. It should be around 12.7-12.8volts on a heathy battery with the engine off. 13.8-14.4volts when the engine is running. Sounds like a battery that is about to leave you stranded.

Quick Reply: No easy change oil light