Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Noisy creaking hard top!! HELP

Old 04-14-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy creaking hard top!! HELP

I have a 2014 jku and my hard top is noisy! It's not wind noise but more of a flexing creak that occurs when in any situation that I'm not on level ground. Anybody have this problem as well? Are there any solutions?!!? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheWhiteBread
I have a 2014 jku and my hard top is noisy! It's not wind noise but more of a flexing creak that occurs when in any situation that I'm not on level ground. Anybody have this problem as well? Are there any solutions?!!? Thanks!
check your freedom panels where they meet the hard too they should have some sort of rubber isolators. they always fall off or wear down so you can just add some if they are gone.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
check your freedom panels where they meet the hard too they should have some sort of rubber isolators. they always fall off or wear down so you can just add some if they are gone.
Thanks will do. It actually sounds like it's further back in the cargo area.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheWhiteBread
Thanks will do. It actually sounds like it's further back in the cargo area.
give that a try or else I think you might have some in the back as well where the hard too meets the body, good luck. Also check your hard too bolts might not be tighten or the freedom panel screws things
Old 04-14-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that if the bolts are too tight, specially if I don't 'adjust' them before tightening them down. Loosen the bolts a bit, unlatch and then relatch them (sometimes I will remove the bolts and just pop the tops up about an inch just to free them) then re-latch them and then the bolts (I always call these the cup bolts). Don't over tighten them, drive around a little then tighten down comfortable not torqued. Should help.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
I get that if the bolts are too tight, specially if I don't 'adjust' them before tightening them down. Loosen the bolts a bit, unlatch and then relatch them (sometimes I will remove the bolts and just pop the tops up about an inch just to free them) then re-latch them and then the bolts (I always call these the cup bolts). Don't over tighten them, drive around a little then tighten down comfortable not torqued. Should help.
cool I'll try it. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

I had the issue and it was cuz my bolts were loose. But I've heard of other people having this problem and they Bought hardtop screws that don't require tools to remove. Think they are called quick detach screws. Like 20 bucks on amazon and it solved the problem
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Former Member

Don't forget the 2 bolts you don't normally see. 1 on each side at the front of the top attaching it high up into the roll cage. Have to remove freedom panels to see them.

Quick Reply: Noisy creaking hard top!! HELP