Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OE front tow hooks... worth it?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OE front tow hooks... worth it?

I dont have any hooks on my bumper, Before I get to serious on the trails I want to make sure I can get out if stuck. I bought a 30' strap with metal hooks on the ends and I know I can probably to right to the frame with it, but that could also meen sacrificing a couple of feet of that strap. I am debating on weather or not to drop $100 on the OE hooks or to wait until I can get a new bumper(may be a couple of yrs). Any opinions guys... and gals?

Cheers
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the strap with the metal hooks on it. Those are meant for towing on road. If you try and recover a stuck vehicle the hook could break and become a nasty projectile Get a quality recovery/snatch strap. I'm sure if you check the want ad section you can find some stock JK hooks for cheap. Also check the offroad 101 section..lots of good reading there.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think of it this way, when your jeep is up to the doors in mud or water do you want to go shoulder deep in mud to tie your strap around the frame? x2 on the projectiles, no steel hooks.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

whats the break strength recommended for a recovery strap? (for a rookie)
Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kirs, I would get the hooks. I have been pulled out of mud traps with no problems w/the hooks. We do have deep mud holes here in Puerto Rico!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

throw the strap with metal hooks in the garbage

buy used factory hooks off of another forum member for cheap
Old 10-25-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Junkie

Get the hooks, I think I sold mine for 20ish. Well worth the investment if you don't plan on getting a new bumper any time soon.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your local Walmart carries tow straps with looped ends. Typically is 20', 25' and 30' lengths. Load rating depends on the strap, but these generally have 15,000 to 20,000 pound load ratings. Price ranges from $25 to $35. For a tight budget, these are adequate if not ideal. You can easily spend three times as much for top tier tow and snatch straps. Quadratec has a complete line of recovery straps and tree savers, with the bottom end prices not more than a couple of bucks more than Walmart's prices. Since Quadratec is a sponsor of Project-JK, I can provide a link...
Tow straps

Looped ends are safer than those with forged steel hooks. Plus, you can easily loop one strap through another to double the length.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default stock tow hooks

Those stock tow hooks on the JK bumper don't look too great. Does anyone have experience with using them? Do they hold a tow strap pretty well?

thanks...
Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
Not sure what happened to my post
less than 50 posts = not allowed to sell stuff

Originally Posted by noojeepah
Those stock tow hooks on the JK bumper don't look too great. Does anyone have experience with using them? Do they hold a tow strap pretty well?

thanks...
I've never had an issue with mine, they work great!!!

Quick Reply: OE front tow hooks... worth it?