Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM Remote Start Antenna Placement?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Remote Start Antenna Placement?

I'm getting ready to install the 82211437AD remote start in my sons 2010 Rubicon. Dealer will be cutting the keys and doing the Srarscan part of the install. Need a clear answer as to where the antenna should be mounted. Service Writer said Tech says to put it under the cover at the top on the center column above the radio (is there room with the compass unit already there?).

One site I found says to mount it on the metal knee kick under the steering column, another. The instructions that came with it say to mount in accordence with the vehicle Service Manual Section 8 Electrical/Starting/Remote Start Antenna Module/Installation.

Anyone out there with a Service Manual that can lend a hand? I need to find out for sure pretty quick as it is scheduled to go to the ship for the Starscan on Thursday.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepDad
I'm getting ready to install the 82211437AD remote start in my sons 2010 Rubicon. Dealer will be cutting the keys and doing the Srarscan part of the install. Need a clear answer as to where the antenna should be mounted. Service Writer said Tech says to put it under the cover at the top on the center column above the radio (is there room with the compass unit already there?).

One site I found says to mount it on the metal knee kick under the steering column, another. The instructions that came with it say to mount in accordence with the vehicle Service Manual Section 8 Electrical/Starting/Remote Start Antenna Module/Installation.

Anyone out there with a Service Manual that can lend a hand? I need to find out for sure pretty quick as it is scheduled to go to the ship for the Starscan on Thursday.
I mounted it on the metal knee kick below the steering wheel. Drill two holes and mount it.

Last edited by Moochie; 11-06-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Please, do not direct members to other Jeep forums.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I found that location on another site that had a pretty good write up with photos.

I still have the issue of one local dealership tech says put it under the top cap on the dash console, and the tech from another nearby dealership says it goes behind the cover on the center stack that has the net on it, says the mounting holes are located there. I also saw this location referenced in other post here and elsewhere.

Still would like to know what the Service Manual Section 8 Electrical/starting/remote Start Antenna Module/Installation says about it. Anyone with an 08-10 manual that can take a look?

Last edited by JeepDad; 11-09-2010 at 05:45 AM. Reason: can't type!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the service manual places the antenna module behind the panel wit hthe netting by the 4x4 shifter...

i attached some pics of where mine is placed per the service manual..

also note you will have to change out the WCM.. and the new WCM will not be recognized on the CAN so you will not be able to start the jeep to drive it to the dealer to get it star-scanned...

what I did was mount the new WCM into the column.. but plug the harness into the original.. then held it up to the original key till the jeep started and ran 5 seconds.. then I let it hang and drove to the dealer where they starscanned it into service and plugged in the new WCM...

after that I drove home and put the plastic covers back on the column...

-ChristopherClick image for larger version

Name:	jeep_remote_start_antenna1.jpg
Views:	1493
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	100997Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep_skreem.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	100996Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep_remote_start_antenna2.jpg
Views:	1501
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	100995
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Red face

Many thanks JeepaRoo, that is exactly what I needed to see. Your photos sure made it clear.

It is a bit hard to get an answer from some dealerships. I did finaly get to talk with a Tech at one of the nearby dealers today and he gave me that location as the correct spot. And comfirmed to leave the original WCM pluged in and hold it up next to the switch to start so I could bring it in. May need to consider switching to this dealership they seem more helpful.

The service writer from another dealership where my son got his JK told me that their Tech said he places them under the top cap above the radio. I just put an aftermarket Alpine system in for my son a few weeks ago so knew that did not sound right, with the compass module in there I'm not sure there would be room.

Do you get good range on the remote? My son works shift work and often has to start up and drive home on cold mornings after a 12 hour shift; so he is looking forward to being able to start up on his way to the change house to get it warmed some before getting in for his drive home. I read somewhere that the run time could be set from the standard 10 up to 15 min., is that correct?

Anything else he should have them reset while they have the starscan hooked up?

Last edited by JeepDad; 11-09-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I replied to your PM also.. here is a pic of where the antenna plugs into the WCM module...

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep_remote_start_wcm1.jpg
Views:	1635
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	115269
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

anyone find a location that allows for better reception? my thought is the sound bar area
Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

not worried about extending the harness, more interested in getting more range.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

i dont see why you couldnt put it right up behind the instrument cluster or such... it would reach there....
-Christopher
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Curious about options for improving reception or if there are any sensitivity adjustments.. There is mention in this thread about being able to adjust the run time, so hoping there is an adjustment for sensitivity as well..

I had reception of about 100 feet or more prior to the dealer replacing the heater box. Now reception is under 5 feet. I want to avoid a trip back to the dealer, so hoping for some home remedies..

Quick Reply: OEM Remote Start Antenna Placement?