Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Off road trailer build question

Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off road trailer build question

Hi guys new to the JK forum, and new to jeeps was a long time FJ40 owner had to give it up due to back issues. Anyway thinking of building an off road trailer to tow behind the JK, and was wondering what your thoughts were to using Timbren axle less system? They look like the ticket for ease of installation only thing is I can't figure out which one to use https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axl...SR35HDS02.html, or https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axl.../A12WS545.html. The 3500 lbs system seems a bit excessive to me any thoughts? Can't say ground clearance is a real big issue for me I really don't plan on doing any hard core crawling with it.

Dave.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default off road trailer

I built my modified teardrop on a custom built trailer frame and a regular trailer axle. Those independent axles are fine for light duty applications but running down the road at highway speeds I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I read another forum on trailer building and several builders have tried them and all have changed them out. They were originally designed for atv type trailers, if I remember right. Also why would you spend all that money when you can use a regular tube axle for 1/3 the price? With the hubs included. Just my opinion.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Speaking with the experience of having a unique axle on a trailer (my old Little Guy) that I had an issue with, I'd go with a standard one if at all possible.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking as someone with experience with the Timbren axle-less suspension system, I am very pleased with the on-road manners and off-road performance. Here are links to the e-trailer components I used for my Runaway trailer modification. The picture below was taken during installation. Note the 2" square tube that ties the two sides together and is welded on inner and outer sides of each Timbren. PM me for more information. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer%20Ax...SR2KHDS02.html http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer%20Hu...550UC1-EZ.html Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1106973047.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	656465

Here's a pic of the modified Runaway

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3065995913.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	727.3 KB
ID:	656466

Last edited by Tikray; 09-10-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paintm4u
I built my modified teardrop on a custom built trailer frame and a regular trailer axle. Those independent axles are fine for light duty applications but running down the road at highway speeds I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I read another forum on trailer building and several builders have tried them and all have changed them out. They were originally designed for atv type trailers, if I remember right. Also why would you spend all that money when you can use a regular tube axle for 1/3 the price? With the hubs included. Just my opinion.
A/T Adventure Trailer has had great luck with them and probably the most experience with them in the business.

Speaking of "light duty" applications, you might reconsider those fenders.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Those fenders are just diamond plate but under them is a steel frame capable of more than holding my weight ( about 200# ) welded to the frame . I have since trimmed them, they look alot better and don't catch on things. I stand on them alot to access the since added roof rack. I'm sure those axles work well in alot of applications, I'm just saying they, or some like them were used in some trailer apps on another forum site and they had problems and ended up changing them out. There are also some that screw to the bottom of the trailer floor, not a very good idea I'd say.

Last edited by paintm4u; 09-11-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Off road trailer build question