Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change Computer

Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Computer

I've been doing my own oil changes for quite a while... Its got to the point where I can almost intuitively know when its time for the next oil change (before the change oil light comes on). However, the last oil change, I used royal purple vice mobile one.... My intuition and past experience tells me that I'm overdue for an oil change... However, I haven't got the "change oil" light yet (sofa about 2 months more than usual... no change in driving habits).. This leads me to ask how does the computer determine when an oil change is needed??? Is it a simple milage / average RPM... etc... calculation? Or does it actually sense condition of the oil? Any real knowledge / expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my owners manual it says that the light is "duty cycle based", so I am assuming the system does not know the condition of the oil but is based on driving habits, speed, RPM, start cycles, Ect.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly why I just change mine every 5k (or more when wheeling a lot).
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's completely based on driving conditions. The computer has no understanding of what type of oil you're using.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks... I figured as much... but this is about the time where i get that oil light and my driving habits haven't changed (the only thing that changed was the oil). Guess i'll give it a week or to and change the oil regardless. Again, thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfunk300
Thanks... I figured as much... but this is about the time where i get that oil light and my driving habits haven't changed (the only thing that changed was the oil). Guess i'll give it a week or to and change the oil regardless. Again, thanks.
If your use hasn't changed then it'll probably come on soon. But subtle changes could have effected it more than you (or we all) realize. For example, few extra full-operating-temp trips mixed in can make the computer "happy" enough to delay the warning.

The OLM expects no more than acceptable conventional oils, so the fact that you use higher end oils means you probably have considerable life left in the oil when the indicator warning lights. I wouldn't worry about it.

I get the oil change itch, too. With all this cold weather I keep expecting the chime when I start up lately.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Update... my light went on this morning... thanks for all the advice. Glad to know my mental alarm is a lil sharper than the computer. I will change oil this weekend using mobile1 (since there is no real difference from RP... plus its really cheap at walmart). BTW if anyone knows where to buy mobile one cheeper, please share.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 AM
JK Freak

I've been doing my own oil changes for quite a while... Its got to the point where I can almost intuitively know when its time for the next oil change (before the change oil light comes on). However, the last oil change, I used royal purple vice mobile one.... My intuition and past experience tells me that I'm overdue for an oil change... However, I haven't got the "change oil" light yet (sofa about 2 months more than usual... no change in driving habits).. This leads me to ask how does the computer determine when an oil change is needed??? Is it a simple milage / average RPM... etc... calculation? Or does it actually sense condition of the oil? Any real knowledge / expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
I use a log book too, with items, date, milage, items, price of purchased materials and so on.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update... my light went on this morning... thanks for all the advice. Glad to know my mental alarm is a lil sharper than the computer. I will change oil this weekend using mobile1 (since there is no real difference from RP... plus its really cheap at walmart). BTW if anyone knows where to buy mobile one cheeper, please share.
To my knowledge, there is nowhere else in the world to purchase Mobile1 any cheaper than Walmart. That's where I go. I can do my own oil change with Mobile1 cheaper than my wife pays to have conventional oil changed into her vehicle.

But don't plan on buying the stupid filter at Walmart!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
To my knowledge, there is nowhere else in the world to purchase Mobile1 any cheaper than Walmart. That's where I go. I can do my own oil change with Mobile1 cheaper than my wife pays to have conventional oil changed into her vehicle.

But don't plan on buying the stupid filter at Walmart!
This. I've never found it cheaper anywhere else either.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Computer