Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change Problem

Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Problem

Took 2013 sport to friends shop for oil change. He could not remove the oil pan plug,asked me who did last oil change,which was the dealer. Told me to take it back to them,maybe they cross theaded it. dealer had to use air hammer to loosen it.No charge for oil change or new plug. Asked head mechanic if this a common thing. He told me the plugs are made of crap metal,happens more than you think. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Riz
Took 2013 sport to friends shop for oil change. He could not remove the oil pan plug,asked me who did last oil change,which was the dealer. Told me to take it back to them,maybe they cross theaded it. dealer had to use air hammer to loosen it.No charge for oil change or new plug. Asked head mechanic if this a common thing. He told me the plugs are made of crap metal,happens more than you think. Anyone else have this happen?
I hear yeah.. sounds like the same issue we had.. After that jiffy place screwed us over I went to a no name shop up the street and while up on the lift, I could tell the guy they assigned to our jeep had no clue how to remove the drain plug.. I had to step in and just in the nic of time.. I think from time to time.. one may actually need to have the plug replaced.. and yeah think it's been cross threaded or even over tighten.. or maybe even the wrong size plug put back in.. just depends on who worked on it last.. and if it was the dealer.. let them handle any damage or just have them replace the plug..
Old 09-16-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Well if the mechanic said what he said get it on paper and every time it happens u get it done free lol

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

This is just weird. I freakishly change oil every 3k miles and have done so for the last 25 years or so. Never, have I seen a bolt cross threaded in the oil pan. Most likely put it in with a pneumatic wrench. General rule with any bolt, insert by hand, then tighten to spec. Following this method avoids cross threaded issues. Mechanics......... SMH...........
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor

It does happen more often than not... I have even seen some guys hand tighten them so tight they roll over the threads, I just don't get it either.
Chris
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've changed my own for 30 years. Finger tight and hand tighten with a 17 mm I think. No reason to use a power tool there and over tighten.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a boy I was taught that to find the starting point of any machine screw, slowly turn the screw counter-clockwise (left/loose) until it "clicks" (more of a feeling than sound). Then begin to turn clockwise to tighten.

I honestly can't recall the last time I cross threaded a screw or bolt.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
As a boy I was taught that to find the starting point of any machine screw, slowly turn the screw counter-clockwise (left/loose) until it "clicks" (more of a feeling than sound). Then begin to turn clockwise to tighten. I honestly can't recall the last time I cross threaded a screw or bolt.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
As a boy I was taught that to find the starting point of any machine screw, slowly turn the screw counter-clockwise (left/loose) until it "clicks" (more of a feeling than sound). Then begin to turn clockwise to tighten. I honestly can't recall the last time I cross threaded a screw or bolt.
yep! Simple enough....
Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another victim of the "idiot factor". Far more idiots these days turning wrenches than actual mechanics. The precise reason no one touches any of my vehicles with a 10ft pole unless it's a costly warranty issue and even if it is, I'd usually do it myself still.

This is a simple bolt to thread but generally the art of understanding functionality and troubleshooting to component level is pretty much gone. Now it's throw parts at it until it's fixed and instead of taking your time and pride in your workmanship, it's get it out the door and collect the $. Oops, did I say too much ?

I'd also have to question the condition of the pan threads if the bolt was, in fact, cross threaded. Next change, take it back to the dealer and ask to see for yourself. They should give you a new pan if so.... then after that, do it yourself.

Do everything you can yourself. Invest in the tools, take the time to learn and you'll be far better off for it.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Problem