Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change Problem

Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
As a boy I was taught that to find the starting point of any machine screw, slowly turn the screw counter-clockwise (left/loose) until it "clicks" (more of a feeling than sound). Then begin to turn clockwise to tighten.

I honestly can't recall the last time I cross threaded a screw or bolt.
Been doing that my whole life as well, and taught my son the same technique.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredrok
Do everything you can yourself. Invest in the tools, take the time to learn and you'll be far better off for it.
Right.. (agreeing with you) and my wife makes sure of this.. However, after being hit by a car.. I'm limited as to what I can do.. at one point and it's getting harder for me to simply crawl under the jeep and do the oil change myself.. and my wife has done this as well.. but time and age are creeping up on us.. so finding a shop that has skilled mechs and not the "just turns" has been a challenge.. But finding this oen shop up the street has been a godsend.. The kid just out of high school wants to learn.. I gave him all of my donated Haynes manuals.. but when he has an issue I'm right there.. Clearly he had no clue as to how to install the bushings on my new shocks from Daystar.. and with a little help, I was able to show him how it's done.. mind you his shop had better tools than my basement.. but all that was need was a couple of sockets.. and a rock between a hard place.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, I got under my Jeep and was yanking on that factory plug like crazy! Had the dealership do the first two oil changes but plug looked like it hadn't been touched by a wrench. Luckily my next door neighbor owns a garage. So I brought it to him and he lifted the Jeep, took out the terrible plug and put in a new one for free.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Just an FYI, I installed a fumoto valve on both my vehicles here recently. Love it! But, keeping the drain bolt in the vehicle just in case I need it while out & about.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM
-

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Just an FYI, I installed a fumoto valve on both my vehicles here recently. Love it! But, keeping the drain bolt in the vehicle just in case I need it while out & about.
You know I was going to say something about this valve.. and not have to deal with the drain plug bolt.. But I'd find that this would be way too much of a temptation for someone to screw with other's jeeps.. mind you we've already had out jeep messed with several times over the last 2 years.. So if it wasn't for that reason, one of these valves would be on the jeep..
Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens quite often. I just finger tighten and use torque wrench set to proper torque. Haven't had any problems.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

My drain bolt had six sides to it and after the first two free oil changes by the dealer, there was nothing left to wrench on. The dealer must have used a 12 point socket and rounded the points off the bolt by over tightening it. I replaced it (using vice grips and a BFH) and replaced it with a new NAPA drain bolt. I do my own oil changes now and use a six point socket and a torque wrench. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Problem