Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil pump siezed on 3.8L

Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pump siezed on 3.8L

WHat are the chances an oil pump would sieze? Oil pumps usually wear out by becoming loose and sloppy until the pressure gets low. A siezed pump indicates no oil or water in oil. A siezed pump is a very abnormal failure mode right?

Dealership replaced oil pan and timing cover gaskets on my 2008. They say they started it and let it run 40 minutes to burp cooling system and it suddenly shut down. The oil pump siezed. I went to shop to see it but i should have pulled dip stick to look for low/ no oil or water in oil but i did not. Big mistake on my part
Old 12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap. Are they not covering the bill to fix it?

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 12-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pump SEIZED
No oil for 40 minutes Shit happens in the chain of events. Now the crankshaft lobe that drives it and your rings and bearings
You want the old oil pump given to you. Things might have changed since the old days...but the pump is usually arm (lever) driven from a cam lobe on the crankshaft. If the actuator arm shows wear or an orangey/bluish discolouration on an old style engine like these....they ran it without oil. Ask them why 40 minutes to circulate fluid as well. Come on this wasn't Joe in his backyard with a case of beer was it?
Why was it in for oil pan and timing chain cover work

Something's not quite right here sheriff

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 12-12-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The 3.8L oil pump is direct drive on the front end of the crank shaft, in the timing chain cover.
I'd have to see it before I'd believe it seized. And why would it seize, unless there was no oil in it?
If that's the case, it was probably due to improper assembly when they reinstalled the timing chain cover.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The 3.8L oil pump is direct drive on the front end of the crank shaft, in the timing chain cover. I'd have to see it before I'd believe it seized. And why would it seize, unless there was no oil in it? If that's the case, it was probably due to improper assembly when they reinstalled the timing chain cover.
Yea this pump is a gear within a gear bolted to the inside of the timing cover. I would like to see what siezed it. If it siezed i wonder what level of destruction the pump threw out!

Quick Reply: Oil pump siezed on 3.8L