Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil sucking 3.8

Old 09-03-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Early 07 (built Dec. 06) Rubi Unlimited 81k miles

In July ran about 3500 miles from Florida to Auburn Hills, Mi. and return-- consistently used 1/2 quart per 1000 miles--run Royal Purple 10-30 and have cleanable oil filter with oil temp and oil pressure gauge @ 65 MPH (which I usually run run on I-states) 55 pounds pressure and 215 degrees F, water temp 202-206 degrees (Scangauge)--have used RP since 5000 miles, very happy--a little less oil use in town--with add ons, full fuel, 2 people Jeep weighs 5200 lbs.(by truck scale)--CRWood

Last edited by crwood1; 09-03-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: weight verify
Old 09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

has anyone tried engine oil additives? i have noticed the stop leak additives and am curious if it works?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
Also, 1 quart every 2k is an oil user to me. I've never had an engine use more than a cup every 3k miles, and most engines I've ever had used no oil at all. None of my other vehicles uses so much as a drop. My Chevy van has a 6.0 liter that gets an oil change every 9k miles. It doesn't use a drop of oil over the entire interval. (I run Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, or Quaker State Synthetic, depending on which is on sale. That engine has no usage with any of them.)
I understand the feeling because I have had the same experience. I have had Buick V-6's with 300K on them that did not use any oil between changes. I am used to not having to add oil between changes but the factory will tell you it is within tolerances. Just be sure you are looking at the dipstick regularly when you fill up. However, if you blow it up you will get the chance to rebore or replace and then you will have an engine that won't use oil.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjt94
1 quart every 2K is not an oil user. A quart every 800 to 1K would be though. Nevertheless, mine does not use any oil and I live where it is seriously hot, 115 - 120 every day for the last month.
I respectfully disagree. Thats what the automakers say as a cop out. Only engines I ever had burn oil were the old late 60's V-8's with over 100k miles with me hot rodding the hell out of them.

IMO Any modern engine using oil below 100k miles.....had an assembly/material quality problem from the get go, or was damaged through abuse or plain bad luck. Rings,valve guides, cylinders out of round....something. But is not ok, and not the norm.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee
I respectfully disagree. Thats what the automakers say as a cop out. Only engines I ever had burn oil were the old late 60's V-8's with over 100k miles with me hot rodding the hell out of them.

IMO Any modern engine using oil below 100k miles.....had an assembly/material quality problem from the get go, or was damaged through abuse or plain bad luck. Rings,valve guides, cylinders out of round....something. But is not ok, and not the norm.
Very true. It is likely a bad set of rings. This is pretty common as manufacturers look to save here and there. The changes they make are sometimes minor but with very negative consequences for the consumer. The solution for this situation would be to pull the pistons, bore the cylinders and replace with a good set of pistons and rings. It would probably be ok to just pull the pistons and hone the cylinders and replace pistons with new rings.

I asked what the spark plugs look like a few posts ago. Their condition/color may tell a lot about what is happening to the oil. We have not heard what the tailpipe looks like either.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I've never had an engine use oil, either.
But, I know it's impossible for all engines to be made so they don't consume oil. It just can't be done in a mass production environment. That's why there is a threshold, prior to which they won't do anything.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I've never had an engine use oil, either.
But, I know it's impossible for all engines to be made so they don't consume oil. It just can't be done in a mass production environment. That's why there is a threshold, prior to which they won't do anything.
Yes sir, I understand. It just seems way to common, even given the nature of a forum environment, in these JK 3.8's. In this case I think the long standing "1 qt every 1000 is okay" is a disservice to these consumers and is damaging to the Jeep brand.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes sir, I understand. It just seems way to common, even given the nature of a forum environment, in these JK 3.8's. In this case I think the long standing "1 qt every 1000 is okay" is a disservice to these consumers.
I agree it seems like there are a lot of oil burning JK 3.8s.
I'd like to see what percent of all JK 3.8s burn oil.
I just can't get upset about it until I see what's actually going on.
(I know. Mine's not burning oil. So, it's easy for me to say that.)
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I wonder if instead of burning oil, they are leaking. I have had a crank seal, head gasket, and rear main seal leak.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

There's a good number of threads on this topic, and I just wonder if any Jeep Engineers are actually READING this. They can hide behind a avatar and none of us would know...great way to learn how the customer likes / dislikes your product. ( We do it in our industry...free honest feed back)

So, HELLO JEEP ENGINEERS I'm sure you're out there!!! How's about stepping up and helping out here!

In addition to this issue, feel free to use this forum to take care of the steering klunk, and e-brakes that need constant adjustment.

OWN UP TO YOUR DESIGN GUYS!!

Quick Reply: Oil sucking 3.8