Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Other stock vehicles- how deep in water?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Other stock vehicles- how deep in water?

So I think our stock JKus are rated for 30 inches of water depth. Anyone know the allowable water fording depth for other vehicles like F150, silverado, Tacoma, tundra, etc? Talking only about stock condition.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i cant swim so i tend to stay in water knee deep or less so i dont drown but ya i would not try 30 inches in any of the non jeeps you listed, they dont have floor drain plugs stock......
Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

500mm in land rover defenders
700mm in Toyota land cruiser 79series utes
Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 AM
JK Freak

how many mm per foot?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

500mm = 19.6 inches
700mm = 27.5 inches
762mm = 30 inches
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
So I think our stock JKus are rated for 30 inches of water depth. Anyone know the allowable water fording depth for other vehicles like F150, silverado, Tacoma, tundra, etc? Talking only about stock condition.
I do believe that there's some truth to Jeep's advertising that they test Jeeps on an off-road track that most other vehicles don't. Those lessor vehicles are often emblazoned "4WD" or "Offroad" in large letters on their rear end somewhere, but it has nothing to do with real-world offroad performance.

Want to know in a picosecond how to tell if a vehicle is not actually built for offroad? If its spare tire is stored on the bottom of the vehicle, then the engineers who designed it were not thinking of offroad. No one in his right mind wants to crawl under a vehicle to get a spare tire on sharp rocks or in mud, river, swamp, you name it that the word "offroad" really implies. What's the first thing that the offroad racers do with the spare tire on their trucks? Put it in the bed. If the OEM engineers didn't get the spare tire right, what else did they get wrong? Not saying these vehicles can't be modified for offroad. But am saying they don't come from the factory that way.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

300mm =12"
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I do believe that there's some truth to Jeep's advertising that they test Jeeps on an off-road track that most other vehicles don't. Those lessor vehicles are often emblazoned "4WD" or "Offroad" in large letters on their rear end somewhere, but it has nothing to do with real-world offroad performance.

Want to know in a picosecond how to tell if a vehicle is not actually built for offroad? If its spare tire is stored on the bottom of the vehicle, then the engineers who designed it were not thinking of offroad. No one in his right mind wants to crawl under a vehicle to get a spare tire on sharp rocks or in mud, river, swamp, you name it that the word "offroad" really implies. What's the first thing that the offroad racers do with the spare tire on their trucks? Put it in the bed. If the OEM engineers didn't get the spare tire right, what else did they get wrong? Not saying these vehicles can't be modified for offroad. But am saying they don't come from the factory that way.
*ding ding ding ding* winner winner chicken dinner, , exactly my thoughts brought to life!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
*ding ding ding ding* winner winner chicken dinner, , exactly my thoughts brought to life!
Yes, trail rated actually means that the design is tested to some standards. This is where the 30" comes from for the wranglers.
http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/trail-rated/
Old 07-29-2014, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

The JK itself is a good unit and lends itself to off roading however it will leak water through the air intake for the air con/ heater when in deep water.
Yea it was designed as an off road vehicle but more of a mountain goat than a work horse.
It doesn't like heavy loads as stock and does have flaws.
Almost any 4x4 vehicle can be modified to do deep water crossings but 72 inches I doubt as a stock jeep without some water ingress.

Quick Reply: Other stock vehicles- how deep in water?