Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Overheating under load

Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your issues, I've had this happen on my Chev 3500 454 and my 3.8L Jeep. Heater core was plugged off which restricted the flow of coolant partially. Lots of posts on the forum about flushing the heater core in reverse, doesn't take long and worth a shot. 3.6 is known to plug with casting sand
Let us know!

if you can read this, my Jeep is broken....
Old 08-27-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is a final update. I had the fan settings adjusted by a local tuner as suggested by @rmswrangler and the temp gauge is now rock solid in the middle. I drove to Ouray 2 weeks ago and only on the most intense uphill slogs did it it even move beyond center. Watching the Temps with my scan tool it shows running right around 212-215. Thanks everyone for the help. Huge shout out to Clint at American Intense Racing http://www.ai-racing.com/
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Due to an oil pump issue that came up recently... when the dealer drained my oil to change the oil pump, they noticed a lot of metal in the oil (there was only 2.7L of oil in the engine and it looked like a very nice and shiny metallic - dealer did an oil change 3 months ago when they replaced the PCV (?) valve). Fortunately the tech is very diligent and noticed this so he pulled the oil pan to look into it further - where he noticed a lot of metal slivers and shavings in the oil pan. He's attempting to get Chrysler to replace my engine under warranty. He thinks he'll be successful. I'll hopefully find out tomorrow how that's going.

If it happens, I guess we can find out if my temp issues were something to do with that engine, or just due to shitty fan controls as rsmwrangler posted.

I also wonder though who I could take the jeep to, to change those settings?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

So a new engine was ordered today (under warranty). I guess we'll find out in 2-3 weeks what effect (if any) this will have on my temp issue.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Septu
So a new engine was ordered today (under warranty). I guess we'll find out in 2-3 weeks what effect (if any) this will have on my temp issue.
Hey Septu, Any progress on the engine replacement yet? Curious to know if this is an inherent issue of certain castings of the engine itself (as this is what I am suspecting) I have had all the same issues as you and the dealer has replaced all items in the cooling system, shy of the heater core. If this is the issue for you I will have the dealer take an oil sample and send it in for evaluation to look for metal.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

I have a 2012 JKU (Sahara) w/ about 83k miles. I've never had any overheating issues at all since purchasing at 41k miles. I had my thermostat replaced about 1 month ago had a small crack. Today while coming back from camping the temp outside was about 98 degrees. I was on the 5 freeway coming back from camping going through (grapevine). I'm running 35's and 3.73 gears. My temp gauge moved a little past the half way mark going up hill. I was doing 76-78 and rpms were around 4k. This occurred for about 1min then it moved back to the middle. I'm pretty sure this is not normal.

When I got home checked overflow tank and coolant. Everything looked okay. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused this. Any ideas what else I can check?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_E60
I have a 2012 JKU (Sahara) w/ about 83k miles. I've never had any overheating issues at all since purchasing at 41k miles. I had my thermostat replaced about 1 month ago had a small crack. Today while coming back from camping the temp outside was about 98 degrees. I was on the 5 freeway coming back from camping going through (grapevine). I'm running 35's and 3.73 gears. My temp gauge moved a little past the half way mark going up hill. I was doing 76-78 and rpms were around 4k. This occurred for about 1min then it moved back to the middle. I'm pretty sure this is not normal. When I got home checked overflow tank and coolant. Everything looked okay. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused this. Any ideas what else I can check?
Check the oil filter is rated correctly. Had a similar issues. A trip this year. Same symptoms that it would over heated in hills on highway. Took it to dealer and they said the lube shop I took it to didn't fit the filter correctly and it caused the oil filter out of the filter to have too low a pressure. They said it common for oil change quick shop not to fully engage the double seal filter on the had and they see it a lot. Maybe.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by casamtb
Check the oil filter is rated correctly. Had a similar issues. A trip this year. Same symptoms that it would over heated in hills on highway. Took it to dealer and they said the lube shop I took it to didn't fit the filter correctly and it caused the oil filter out of the filter to have too low a pressure. They said it common for oil change quick shop not to fully engage the double seal filter on the had and they see it a lot. Maybe.
Thanks for the reply. I've been taking it to a independent reputable shop for over 1yr never had any issues. Hoping it's a simple as the issue you had.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4chick
Unless your gauge goes into the red it is not considered overheating. We have a 2012 2 door and tow a 2000 pound pop-up trailer in 110 plus temps and the gauge just move ever so slightly to the right of the centre line going up a hill in 3rd gear at 5000 rpm. Our friend got a 2013 4 door with the same specs as our 2 door and his gauge move up halfway between the centre line and the 3/4 line on the same uphill without towing anything.

We asked one of the dealers around us witch is super mod friendly about it, and they say it is normal. According to them it is just a gauge and not 100% accurate.

How do you know the exact temp of the water??? Pus if you have to top up the coolant, then you might have a problem. We got 17000 miles on our Jeep and I have never had to top up any coolant. And this is the second summer for the Jeep in the brutal heat of the Southern California desert.
This would explain why I was seeing my temp gauge slight move past the mid way point going up the grapevine. It must have been around 103 degrees outside. I'm running 35's tires w/3.73 gearing. The dealer told me something similar, gauge is not 100% accurate.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed on my 2012 jku

I regeared from 3.73 to 4.56 and a diablo tune on my 2012 jku. It now never goes past half way Ever!!! The fans run more often with the 91 octane diablo tune and also gets better fuel economy. 18mpg. Problem solved. 3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires.

Quick Reply: Overheating under load